From: K. on
On 08/02/2010 19:06, Jose wrote:
> On Feb 8, 12:43 pm, "K."<k...(a)w3.to> wrote:
>> On 08/02/2010 17:10, Rich Barry wrote:
>>
>>> Have you seen this MS Article
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903251

I've looked at this page in greater detail today. Half way down there is
a list of files it tells you to rename and then to delete. I've checked
these by searching the whole of my C:\Windows folder and have not found
any of them, so I'd be surprised if I had the Haxdoor virus.

> I suggest expanding your malicious software scanning horizons.
>
> Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
> detection programs:
>
> Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
> SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/
>
> They can be uninstalled later if desired.
>
> If the scans run clean and the issue happens again, diagnose and
> resolve it with certainty by examining the crash dump file after your
> next failure.

I've installed and run Malwarebytes. It found something called
Adware/Zinki (something like that anyway) which it has removed so I will
see if that has resolved the problem when I boot the PC tomorrow. Part
of me wonders if it just doesn't like booting up from cold in the
morning, something I'm not that keen on either !!

K.