From: OrangeDuckk on
I want to get an update but every time it says "Windows Update encountered
and unknown error." My computer is using Vista. Before i could update
without any problems. Can anyone help me???
From: MowGreen on
Is this Vista 64-bit ? To see the system's architecture, open System in
the Control Panel. The architecture is listed under System next to
System type:

If the updating issue just started occurring recently suggest you use a
System Restore point that predates the issue and see if that resolves it.
If not ...

80070081 ERROR_CHILD_NOT_COMPLETE
The %1 application cannot be run in Win32 mode.

There doesn't appear to be one reliable, proven method for resolving the
80070081 error, OrangeDuckk.

Will wait to you response on which architecture the system is and how
long this updating error has been occurring before recommending any steps.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

From: gem on
my system is vista 32-bit and i get the same error message, so is there
nothing i can do?

From: MowGreen on
* How long has the error been occurring ? *

Suggest you post the WindowsUpdate.log *after* doing another check for
updates:

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the log. Then copy and paste at
least the *last* 50 or so lines into your reply, please.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Yes, you can begin a new thread about your specific problems. State your IE
version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit
SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) in your first post.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com