From: Smiles on
good day

my son changed his login password and made an error remembering it

this is a used xp box with an administrator password which we do not have

now we can not log in

if I put the drive in my machine is there a way of correcting this problem

thanks
From: Peter Foldes on
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

--
Peter

From: Smiles on
it fails at step 2 finding sam file

thanks Peter

From: John John - MVP on
Restore the SAM file from a backup, you can find a backup in one of the
Restore Points "Snapshot" folders inside the System Volume Information
folder. Look for _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM , rename it SAM and place it in
the \WINDOWS\system32\config folder. The path to the Snapshot folder
will be something like this:

C:\System Volume
Information\_restore{D86480E3-73EF-47BC-A0EB-A81BE6EE3ED8}\RP1\Snapshot

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531
How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder

John

From: Smiles on
0k but how would you do this if you can not login to machine

John John - MVP wrote:
> Restore the SAM file from a backup, you can find a backup in one of the
> Restore Points "Snapshot" folders inside the System Volume Information
> folder. Look for _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM , rename it SAM and place it in
> the \WINDOWS\system32\config folder. The path to the Snapshot folder
> will be something like this:
>
> C:\System Volume
> Information\_restore{D86480E3-73EF-47BC-A0EB-A81BE6EE3ED8}\RP1\Snapshot
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531
> How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder
>
> John
>
> Smiles wrote:
>> it fails at step 2 finding sam file
>>
>> thanks Peter