From: Chris on
exchange 2003 sp2. got the event with " ... exceeded the maximum of 500
objects of type "objFolder". I found the article which expalined the symptom
well. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830829. But can someone explain how a
mapi client uses the objects? What the function is for the objects, for
example objFolder?

In our case it's caused by the backup software sending out emails. How to
control a mapi client not to open too many objects?

thanks.
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 15:14:01 -0800, Chris
<Chris(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>exchange 2003 sp2. got the event with " ... exceeded the maximum of 500
>objects of type "objFolder". I found the article which expalined the symptom
>well. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830829. But can someone explain how a
>mapi client uses the objects? What the function is for the objects, for
>example objFolder?

"Objects", in this case, are just a techie way of saying "things". In
this case whatever it is that's causing the problem is opening more
than 500 mailbox folders.

>In our case it's caused by the backup software sending out emails.

That doesn't sound right. Are you making "brick level" backups? In
that case the software is trying to copy individual messages and to do
that it has to look in the individual folders.

>How to
>control a mapi client not to open too many objects?

That's up to the author of the software.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Chris on
we do brick level (mailbox level) backups. So you are saying that the event
is caused by break level backup opening too many folders at one time in the
mailboxes?

From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
Don't do brick level backups.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 13:16:05 -0800, Chris
<Chris(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>we do brick level (mailbox level) backups. So you are saying that the event
>is caused by break level backup opening too many folders at one time in the
>mailboxes?

I'm not saying it is or it isn't. I'm suggesting that it might be. If
the events happen only when the backup is running then I'd suspect the
brick-level backup to be at fault. If it happens when the backup isn't
running then the 'description' part of the event will have information
in it that will point you to the mailbox.

The 9646 can also happen if you have people that have other mailboxes
in their profile, work in cached mode, and cache some folders in those
other mailboxes. Unchecking the box to cache those folders can help.

But it may be some desktop 'indexing' software that's doing this. Or
it may be some other software.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP