From: Tamas K Papp on
Today I saw the hilarious "How a Common Lisp programmer views users of
other languages" post on Luís Oliveira's blog. [1] After a good laugh,
I realized that I don't know much about Factor, so I did a bit of
reading.

I am looking for comments on what Common Lispers [2] think about Factor.
What does the concatenative paradigm offer that is different? Is it
possible/worthwhile to adopt anything from that into CL, perhaps as a DSL
for certain problems?

Please understand that this is not flamebait, I am not trying to
decide which language is "better". I just want to learn. I know that
the best thing to do would be to sit down and devote a couple of months
to Factor, but currently I am not in a position to do that, and thus I am
just interested in what others have learned.

Thanks,

Tamas

[1] http://kvardek-du.kerno.org/2010/01/how-common-lisp-programmer-views-users.html
[2] And yes, I have noticed that Slava Pestov was a CL'er too.
From: vippstar on
On Jan 20, 4:34 pm, Tamas K Papp <tkp...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Please understand that this is not flamebait...

No, it couldn't even be that.
From: Tamas K Papp on
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:34:05 -0800, vippstar wrote:

> On Jan 20, 4:34 pm, Tamas K Papp <tkp...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Please understand that this is not flamebait...
>
> No, it couldn't even be that.

Indeed. That is a pity: I have seen good discussions here about
languages which are not nearly as interesting as Factor.

Tamas
From: Madhu on

* Tamas K Papp <7rqiasF9viU1(a)mid.individual.net> :
Wrote on 21 Jan 2010 08:42:04 GMT:

| On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:34:05 -0800, vippstar wrote:
|
|> On Jan 20, 4:34 pm, Tamas K Papp wrote:
|>> Please understand that this is not flamebait...
|>
|> No, it couldn't even be that.
|
| Indeed. That is a pity: I have seen good discussions here about
| languages which are not nearly as interesting as

Gavino does this much better than you.

HTH

--
Madhu
From: Nicolas Neuss on
Tamas K Papp <tkpapp(a)gmail.com> writes:

> I am looking for comments on what Common Lispers [2] think about
> Factor. What does the concatenative paradigm offer that is different?
> Is it possible/worthwhile to adopt anything from that into CL, perhaps
> as a DSL for certain problems?

I probably have looked less carefully then you, but it looks as if it is
the natural successor to Forth, no?

Maybe a Forth-like DSL could be interesting, but I have the impression
that a stack-based language like Forth lives from the fact that most
(all?) functions have a fixed arity. This does not work well together
with the CL way of functions having optional and keyword arguments.

Nicolas
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: common-lisp.net?