From: Indi on
On 2010-06-12, Warren Block <wblock(a)wonkity.com> wrote:
> Indi <indi(a)satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu> wrote:
>> On 2010-06-11, Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingo(a)start.no> wrote:

>>> Do you have anything in /boot/modules? Some ports create modules there,
>>> and if one of those is out of sync, bad things can happen.
>>>
>>> Have you checked /boot/loader.conf?
>>> HTH
>>
>> Thanks for the very helpful reply!
>> You were spot on, it's the vboxnetflt module.
>> It seems that it will stop the boot process but can be loaded manually
>> after booting without a problem (so far, it's only been 20 minutes or
>> so). Also I tried windows in virtualbox and it works just as before.
>
> Rebuilding the virtualbox-ose-kmod port may help. Actually, kernel
> modules are supposed to be rebuilt after kernel upgrades, but there's no
> mechanism for notifying about that.
>
> If you can live with the VM being behind NAT, that mode doesn't need the
> vboxnet module at all.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Rebuilding the vbox modules yielded no change. Of course it could well
be that something else I have installed conflicts somehow with
vboxnetflt...
Thankfully it seems to be a very minor issue as loading the module after
booting works just fine.

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

From: Per Hedeland on
In article <87itpgFbe6U1(a)mid.individual.net> Indi
<indi(a)satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu> writes:
>On 2010-06-12, Warren Block <wblock(a)wonkity.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks for the very helpful reply!
>>> You were spot on, it's the vboxnetflt module.
>>> It seems that it will stop the boot process but can be loaded manually
>>> after booting without a problem (so far, it's only been 20 minutes or
>>> so). Also I tried windows in virtualbox and it works just as before.
>>
>> Rebuilding the virtualbox-ose-kmod port may help. Actually, kernel
>> modules are supposed to be rebuilt after kernel upgrades, but there's no
>> mechanism for notifying about that.
>>
>> If you can live with the VM being behind NAT, that mode doesn't need the
>> vboxnet module at all.
>>

>Thanks for the suggestion.
>Rebuilding the vbox modules yielded no change. Of course it could well
>be that something else I have installed conflicts somehow with
>vboxnetflt...
>Thankfully it seems to be a very minor issue as loading the module after
>booting works just fine.

It's fairly well documented on http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox that
you should *not* attempt to load vboxnetflt via /boot/loader.conf -
instead put vboxnet_enable="YES" in rc.conf and the rc script will load
it for you.

--Per Hedeland
per(a)hedeland.org
From: Indi on
On 2010-06-20, Per Hedeland <per(a)hedeland.org> wrote:

> It's fairly well documented on http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox that
> you should *not* attempt to load vboxnetflt via /boot/loader.conf -
> instead put vboxnet_enable="YES" in rc.conf and the rc script will load
> it for you.

Thanks, that works fine!
Never thought to read that -- didn't even know it was there...

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

From: Per Hedeland on
In article <887nobFvdaU1(a)mid.individual.net> Indi
<indi(a)satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu> writes:
>On 2010-06-20, Per Hedeland <per(a)hedeland.org> wrote:
>>
>> It's fairly well documented on http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox that
>> you should *not* attempt to load vboxnetflt via /boot/loader.conf -
>> instead put vboxnet_enable="YES" in rc.conf and the rc script will load
>> it for you.
>>

>Thanks, that works fine!
>Never thought to read that -- didn't even know it was there...

Actually it's all in the pkg-message too... And, you can use the
"standard" FreeBSD bridge interface for the vbox networking, in which
case I don't think you need vboxnetflt at all. I do that (with some
fancy devd config to auto-add the tap devices), but still have
vboxnetflt loaded, so can't say for sure that it isn't needed - but I
think it's just for the netgraph stuff (I got more than enough of
netgraph when hacking the vmware rc script...).

--Per Hedeland
per(a)hedeland.org