From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Ren=E9_Fournier?= on
Strange problem I'm having on Mac OS X Server 10.6 running PHP 5.3. Any call of file_get_contents() on a local file works fine -- the file is read and returned. But any call of file_get_contents on a url -- any url, local or remote -- always returns false.

var_dump (file_get_contents ('http://www.google.com/'));

bool(false)

I've checked php.ini, and the obvious seems okay:

allow_url_fopen => On => On

Any ideas?

....Rene
From: Richard Quadling on
2009/12/9 René Fournier <m5(a)renefournier.com>:
> Strange problem I'm having on Mac OS X Server 10.6 running PHP 5.3. Any call of file_get_contents() on a local file works fine -- the file is read and returned. But any call of file_get_contents on a url -- any url, local or remote -- always returns false.
>
> var_dump (file_get_contents ('http://www.google.com/'));
>
> bool(false)
>
> I've checked php.ini, and the obvious seems okay:
>
>        allow_url_fopen => On => On
>
> Any ideas?
>
> ...Rene

If you enable all errors, anything extra? ...

<?php
error_reporting(-1);
ini_set('display_errors', 1);
set_time_limit(0); // Just in case it takes more than your default
execution time.

var_dump(file_get_contents('http://www.google.com'));

--
-----
Richard Quadling
From: kranthi on
may be unrelated to your problem... but are you behind a proxy?
From: LinuxManMikeC on

http://us2.php.net/manual/en/filesystem.configuration.php#ini.allow-url-fopen
From: LinuxManMikeC on
On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 8:02 AM, LinuxManMikeC <linuxmanmikec(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 6:45 AM, René Fournier <m5(a)renefournier.com> wrote:
>> Strange problem I'm having on Mac OS X Server 10.6 running PHP 5.3. Any call of file_get_contents() on a local file works fine -- the file is read and returned. But any call of file_get_contents on a url -- any url, local or remote -- always returns false.
>>
>> var_dump (file_get_contents ('http://www.google.com/'));
>>
>> bool(false)
>>
>> I've checked php.ini, and the obvious seems okay:
>>
>>        allow_url_fopen => On => On
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> ...Rene
>
> http://us2.php.net/manual/en/filesystem.configuration.php#ini.allow-url-fopen

"I've checked php.ini"
Right, must remember not to reply to stuff till I'm awake. :-D