From: cisz on
We've got 3 computers on a dsl hub and I've been transferring files between
them using file sharing.

I've seen warnings about people on the internet being able to see the files
and have been careful about which files are shared.

Are all the files that are viewable from other computers - (on our hub or
beyond) listed somewhere? Is there a way to make these files viewable only
to our workgroup?

We have xp home on 2 computers and xp pro on the other.

I've setup the connections as "residential gateway".

Help appreciated.

From: Shenan Stanley on
cisz wrote:
> We've got 3 computers on a dsl hub and I've been transferring files
> between them using file sharing.
>
> I've seen warnings about people on the internet being able to see
> the files and have been careful about which files are shared.
>
> Are all the files that are viewable from other computers - (on our
> hub or beyond) listed somewhere? Is there a way to make these files
> viewable only to our workgroup?
>
> We have xp home on 2 computers and xp pro on the other.
>
> I've setup the connections as "residential gateway".
>
> Help appreciated.

Change file and printer share settings (Windows firewall) so that it is only
opened up to the local area network - not the WAN. Assuming you have a
router that hands out 192.168.x.x type addresses.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Pages: 1