From: Nasser M. Abbasi on
On 7/6/2010 10:47 AM, Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:

> Rob Gaddi wrote:
>

>> Or, to tie it together, that the 'C' students you used to know, who
>> entirely failed to grasp the underlying concepts, are now professors
>> teaching that Matlab == DSP.

> I think the problem results from objectivism and political correctness.
> A professor can only ask questions at the test only if he provided
> canned answers for those questions in his course. Hence the art of
> problem solving is replaced by the art of picking correct answer from
> the list of multiple choices. Matlab is the big list of such choices,
> hence there are so many stupidents matlabi around.
>
> VLV

This is form a class handout for a graduate level course in DSP that I
just saw now on the net:

"matlab based problems may be included in all exams"

The above is a real course, offered by a large univesity in the US at
the graduate level.

So, even exams in a digital signal processing courses will have matlab
in them these days.

Witout knowing matlab, one can fail DSP courses. Does not matter how
much theory they know. I think Nyquist would fail the above DSP course
if he would take it.

I think I need to start studying Matlab more...

--Nasser

From: Steve Pope on
Nasser M. Abbasi <nma(a)12000.org> wrote:

>This is form a class handout for a graduate level course in DSP that I
>just saw now on the net:
>
>"matlab based problems may be included in all exams"
>
>The above is a real course, offered by a large univesity in the US at
>the graduate level.
>
>So, even exams in a digital signal processing courses will have matlab
>in them these days.
>
>Witout knowing matlab, one can fail DSP courses. Does not matter how
>much theory they know. I think Nyquist would fail the above DSP course
>if he would take it.

Anybody can program in Matlab.

If the course required one use C++, then there might be a valid
complaint that persons who know the core course material might
nonetheless have trouble becoming proficient in C++. With matlab
there is no valid complaint -- assuming students are given
access to a Matlab environment (and not forced to purchase it
or something).

Steve