From: "Brian Smither" on

>As Paul pointed out, maybe your version of PHP was built without the
>filter_var function compiled in.

This is what I have learned about PHP with filter_var() as an illustrative point:

Many people who provide elaborations on PHP make too many assumptions or are blatently and woefully incomplete. Statements such as "PHP 5.2.0 or higher is required for this to work" is misleading. The PHP online manual pages for respective functions make no distinction that any particular function or capability is an optional include for a build - considered an "extension" as opposed to, what?, "native code"?

I have also learned that when coding my own scripts, I must not only read the manual page for that function, but also any metadata for it and its group, such as the Introduction page, Installing/Configuring, etc. And where, when I finally find it, if I can reason out that I should be looking for it, it may say "The filter extension is enabled by default as of PHP 5.2.0", that I need to be reasonably cautious because some idiot may build PHP 5.2.0+ without this extension.

Are the array_*() functions also an optional extension?