From: Tim X on
cate <catebekensail(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> I have a table ordered by date. When I find a specific record in this
> set, I want to know what its position is in this ordered list.
>
> I could get the date from the record found and count dates above or
> below, but is there a better way?
>
> Thank you.

the rownum pseudo column?

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:49:56 -0800, cate wrote:

> I have a table ordered by date. When I find a specific record in this
> set, I want to know what its position is in this ordered list.
>
> I could get the date from the record found and count dates above or
> below, but is there a better way?
>
> Thank you.

Wrong paradigm. Ordered lists are from another story. Relational
databases are modeled after naive set theory and deal with subsets.
Relational databases do not deal with Abelian groups, Lie algebras,
vector spaces or ordered lists, they deal with subsets. Subsets are,
generally speaking not ordered, although any set can be well ordered,
provided we accept so called Zermelo's axiom of choice, but that's no
longer the naive set theory. If you need a database to return you an
ordered list, you are having an application design issue.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com
From: Galen Boyer on
Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen(a)gmail.com> writes:

> If you need a database to return you an ordered list, you are having
> an application design issue.

I thought you just added an "order the naive set" clause. :-)

--
Galen Boyer

From: Robert Klemme on
On 29.01.2010 04:00, Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:49:56 -0800, cate wrote:
>
>> I have a table ordered by date. When I find a specific record in this
>> set, I want to know what its position is in this ordered list.
>>
>> I could get the date from the record found and count dates above or
>> below, but is there a better way?
>>
>> Thank you.
>
> Wrong paradigm. Ordered lists are from another story. Relational
> databases are modeled after naive set theory and deal with subsets.
> Relational databases do not deal with Abelian groups, Lie algebras,
> vector spaces or ordered lists, they deal with subsets. Subsets are,
> generally speaking not ordered, although any set can be well ordered,
> provided we accept so called Zermelo's axiom of choice, but that's no
> longer the naive set theory. If you need a database to return you an
> ordered list, you are having an application design issue.

I don't fully agree: certainly relational DB and SQL started out at
relational algebra, but there are significant features (even in standard
SQL) that are not really covered by set theory (just to name ORDER BY
and the Oracle specific CONNECT BY).

I do agree if OP wants to remember the position for some later access.
That's not a good idea. But it can be reasonable to have the DB return
positional numbers so you can easily print them in some form of UI or
report.

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 18:01:18 +0100, Robert Klemme wrote:

> I don't fully agree: certainly relational DB and SQL started out at
> relational algebra, but there are significant features (even in standard
> SQL) that are not really covered by set theory (just to name ORDER BY
> and the Oracle specific CONNECT BY).

That is because of the infidels who have polluted our, otherwise pure,
mathematical theory. That's nothing that a good jihad couldn't sort out.
Kantor, Zermelo and Goedel must be turning in their graves.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com