From: ks2008 on
Hi

A) Fixed Unit: # of hours work performed by the resource in a day. If
there is multiple resource, each resource working say 8 hr in a day.

Effort = Duration X num. of resource X unit of work.

B) Fixed unit: The duration of work performed in a day. No matter how many
resources are working, the time spend on task in a day is say 8 hrs.

Effort = Duration X num. of resource X unit of work.

Could you explain what is "fixed unit" means ? I have two explanation for
fixed unit. Which one is correct ?

Thanks
KS

From: G�rard Ducouret on
Hi,

I prefer the equation:
Work = Duration x Number of resources
(Number of resources = Number of resource units)
For example : 5 person-days = 10 days x 0,5 (for a part time resource)
If you set the task to Fixed Units, you prevent the software to recalculate
the number of units. So if the resource was working half-time (50%) it will
stay half-time if you change the Duration or the Workload.
If you change the Work, the software will adapt the Duration
If you change the Duration, the software will adapt the Work.

Hope this helps

G�rard Ducouret

"ks2008" <ks2008(a)discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
2ECD1212-2D10-47BC-9A50-3A9A5D5775CB(a)microsoft.com...

From: "Steve House" sjhouse at hotmail dot on
Neither definition is adequate. "Fixed" only has meaning when something
else is changing. "Fixed Units" means that when one changes work, duration
is recalculated and conversely, when duration is changed work is
recalculated. "Units" is the rate at which duration time is converted into
full-time equivalent work output. If someone is working at 50%, you're only
getting 1/2 man-hour of FTE work done for every hour of duration time
spent - perhaps they're slacking off or have something else going on at the
same time that consumes part of their energy and attention.. If they are
100%, you get an hour's worth of work on the task at hand for each hour of
time they've spent on it. If they are 200%, the resource is really two
otherwise non-differentiated bodies working together so you're getting 2
man-hours of work out of them for each hour of time that passes.
--
Steve House
MS Project Trainer & Consultant