From: Terry Carroll on
I would like to format a field to contain seven characters. For instance 37593 would be 0037593. Is there an easy way to do this through the format field property in the design view of the table?

From: Salad on
Terry Carroll wrote:

> I would like to format a field to contain seven characters. For instance 37593 would be 0037593. Is there an easy way to do this through the format field property in the design view of the table?

x = 1
? format(x,"0000000")
0000001
x = 12345
? format(x,"0000000")
0012345
From: Marshall Barton on
Salad wrote:

>Terry Carroll wrote:
>
>> I would like to format a field to contain seven characters. For instance 37593 would be 0037593. Is there an easy way to do this through the format field property in the design view of the table?
>>

>x = 1
>? format(x,"0000000")
>0000001
>x = 12345
>? format(x,"0000000")
>0012345

There was a follow up in the MS Answers forum that said the
field was a Text field and that it can contain 3 - 7
characters. I can not see a way to do that using the Format
PROPERTY. Easy enough with an expression, but then the
query field would not be updatable.

--
Marsh
From: Salad on
Marshall Barton wrote:
> Salad wrote:
>

>>Terry Carroll wrote:
>>

>>>I would like to format a field to contain seven characters. For instance 37593 would be 0037593. Is there an easy way to do this through the format field property in the design view of the table?
>>>

>>x = 1
>>? format(x,"0000000")
>>0000001
>>x = 12345
>>? format(x,"0000000")
>>0012345
>

> There was a follow up in the MS Answers forum that said the
> field was a Text field and that it can contain 3 - 7
> characters. I can not see a way to do that using the Format
> PROPERTY. Easy enough with an expression, but then the
> query field would not be updatable.

Hmmm. I simply thought he wanted to zero pad some output. Never heard
of MS Answers. Is that the new forum that replaced the newsgroups?
From: Marshall Barton on
Salad wrote:
>Marshall Barton wrote:
>> Salad wrote:
>>>>
>>>x = 1
>>>? format(x,"0000000")
>>>0000001
>>>x = 12345
>>>? format(x,"0000000")
>>>0012345
>>
>> There was a follow up in the MS Answers forum that said the
>> field was a Text field and that it can contain 3 - 7
>> characters. I can not see a way to do that using the Format
>> PROPERTY. Easy enough with an expression, but then the
>> query field would not be updatable.
>>
>Hmmm. I simply thought he wanted to zero pad some output. Never heard
>of MS Answers. Is that the new forum that replaced the newsgroups?

MS Answers may be MS's idea of a replacment, but it is
nowhere near up to what we had before, not in ease of use
nor in traffic.

--
Marsh