From: MZ on
Is anybody using FreeBSD as a media player, where they decode and send
video directly to a 2nd video card while leaving the terminal coming out
of the other card? Perhaps using mplayer or something similar? No
front end. No pause, rewind, etc. Just something command line that
says something like "play movie.avi /dev/somecard" ? I suppose I'd be
willing to install X11 for it, but I don't want to have to load up a GUI.

I'm probably overlooking something obvious, but I wonder if anyone can
offer any suggestions.
From: Indi on
On 2010-01-28, MZ <mark(a)nospam.void> wrote:
> Is anybody using FreeBSD as a media player, where they decode and send
> video directly to a 2nd video card while leaving the terminal coming out
> of the other card? Perhaps using mplayer or something similar? No
> front end. No pause, rewind, etc. Just something command line that
> says something like "play movie.avi /dev/somecard" ? I suppose I'd be
> willing to install X11 for it, but I don't want to have to load up a GUI.
>
> I'm probably overlooking something obvious, but I wonder if anyone can
> offer any suggestions.

I always just build mplayer without the gtk interface, works fine.
Editing the Makefile yields more options than the config screen.
Simple keybindings for FF, RW, play/pause. Piece 'o' cake.

--
indi

Google Groupers and X-posters are filtered. If you're not a troll
or a spammer then you might want to stop posting like one.
From: heiko recktenwald on
Indi schrieb:
> On 2010-01-28, MZ <mark(a)nospam.void> wrote:
>> Is anybody using FreeBSD as a media player, where they decode and send
>> video directly to a 2nd video card while leaving the terminal coming out
>> of the other card? Perhaps using mplayer or something similar? No
>> front end. No pause, rewind, etc. Just something command line that
>> says something like "play movie.avi /dev/somecard" ? I suppose I'd be
>> willing to install X11 for it, but I don't want to have to load up a GUI.
>>
>> I'm probably overlooking something obvious, but I wonder if anyone can
>> offer any suggestions.
>

> I always just build mplayer without the gtk interface, works fine.
> Editing the Makefile yields more options than the config screen.
> Simple keybindings for FF, RW, play/pause. Piece 'o' cake.

But how do you play it on the second card?

H.
From: DaveG on
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 03:02:59 +0100, heiko recktenwald wrote:

> Indi schrieb:
>> On 2010-01-28, MZ <mark(a)nospam.void> wrote:
>>> Is anybody using FreeBSD as a media player, where they decode and send
>>> video directly to a 2nd video card while leaving the terminal coming
>>> out of the other card? Perhaps using mplayer or something similar?
>>> No front end. No pause, rewind, etc. Just something command line
>>> that says something like "play movie.avi /dev/somecard" ? I suppose
>>> I'd be willing to install X11 for it, but I don't want to have to load
>>> up a GUI.
>>>
>>> I'm probably overlooking something obvious, but I wonder if anyone can
>>> offer any suggestions.
>>

>> I always just build mplayer without the gtk interface, works fine.
>> Editing the Makefile yields more options than the config screen. Simple
>> keybindings for FF, RW, play/pause. Piece 'o' cake.
>>

> But how do you play it on the second card?

Best bet is probably as basic X install with dual screen setup.

A couple of hints I can give are:

1. Although it's some time ago, I did once have a basic media player
setup using mplayer. I had X set to startup without a GUI, just a shell
at full screen size which ran a basic webrowser/webserver combo using PHP
to scan the "media" drive for any/all media files and presented a list.
I can't remember how I got the shell start up but IIRC was something
in .xinitrc/.xinit or something. This was a single screen setuo.

2. My current dual screen setup defaults to the VGA interface as screen
1 and the DVI interface as screen 2. As screen 2 is my larger screen, I
have KDE set to force screen 2 as the primary screen for windows to open
on, but if I run mplayer -fs it always opens on screen 1 (which happens
to be what I want.)

Now, I don't know if you can use the above, or if only KDE has the
options to do the screen selections, or even if that behavior can be got
from a basic X or some other, light window manager or via the dual head
drivers/config. But it might point you in the right direction.

It may be that if you setup X to use two separate and independent
screens, ie not dual head, desktop stretched over multiple screens, then
you can run an X program with a screen option, something like

startx command -screen:2.

Or maybe a separate instance of X. I dunno. I'm just guessing based on
vague memories as it's something I've not considered until now.

--
You cannot simply assume someone is honest
just because they are not an MP.

From: Christian Weisgerber on
MZ <mark(a)nospam.void> wrote:

> Is anybody using FreeBSD as a media player, where they decode and send
> video directly to a 2nd video card while leaving the terminal coming out
> of the other card? Perhaps using mplayer or something similar? No
> front end. No pause, rewind, etc. Just something command line that
> says something like "play movie.avi /dev/somecard" ? I suppose I'd be
> willing to install X11 for it, but I don't want to have to load up a GUI.

Install X11 and run the X server on the second card only.

You can then just run mplayer on the main console and point its X11
output to DISPLAY=:0.0.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy(a)mips.inka.de