From: humphrey on
I would like to provide a Microsoft Word template for others in my office to
use but it is important that the information in the header and footer are not
modified by other users. Is there any way to "freeze" certain features
within a template (header/footer, text box) so that they cannot be changed or
deleted?

From: Jay Freedman on
In Word versions through 2003 there is no way to lock "certain features" but
not others in the header/footer. You can attempt to lock users out of the
header and footer completely by the method shown in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/ProtectWord2000PlusHeader.htm.
Be aware, though, that any macro-based method can be defeated simply by
setting the macro security level high enough to disable the macros.

In Word 2007 or 2010, you can use the Restrict Formatting and Editing pane,
set the editing restriction to "No changes (Read only)", and then select
everything *except* the locked parts and check the box to allow editing.
(You'll have to do this in several steps, one for the header, one for the
footer, and one for the body of the document.) If a document like this is
opened in Word 2003 or earlier, though, the entire document will be locked
there.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman