From: Uno on
glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
> Louis Krupp <lkrupp_nospam(a)indra.com.invalid> wrote:
> (snip)
>
>> I still remember the day my high school counselor suggested that I go to
>> CIT, as he called it. I was flattered, of course. At 17, or whatever I
>> was, it didn't occur to me that going to an all-male college might have
>> certain drawbacks. Leading a normal life was a long-term objective but
>> not a short-term goal.
>
> Oh, that long ago. It seems that the ratio is now up to 3:2.

Glen, did you not take abstract algebra, and if so do you not remember
your text? This could be the first known example of you forgetting
something.

When I started to make better decisions about college, I ended up at a
state college where 21 year-olds do normal things besides study. The
ratio was the same as cal tech's, but in the opposite way. Lord have
mercy.:-)
--
Uno
From: Louis Krupp on
On 7/26/2010 3:45 PM, nmm1(a)cam.ac.uk wrote:
> In article<joGdnSzn4blundPRnZ2dnUVZ_h2dnZ2d(a)indra.net>,
> Louis Krupp<lkrupp_nospam(a)indra.com.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> You sound like a poor a.m. performer like I was/am.
>>
>> Mornings are weird. The sun's in the east. How am I supposed to deal
>> with that?
>
> Try visiting northern Europe in midsummer - the sun is in directions
> that you might have difficulty imagining.
>
> Even in the Scottish Highlands, the sky is brightest due north at
> midnight.

I've been to Scotland in midsummer once, but I don't remember too many
details. I've also been as far north as Aberdeen in December. There
isnae much sun.

Louis

From: Louis Krupp on
> Louis Krupp<lkrupp_nospam(a)indra.com.invalid> wrote:
> (snip)
>
>> I still remember the day my high school counselor suggested that I go to
>> CIT, as he called it. I was flattered, of course. At 17, or whatever I
>> was, it didn't occur to me that going to an all-male college might have
>> certain drawbacks. Leading a normal life was a long-term objective but
>> not a short-term goal.
>
> Oh, that long ago. It seems that the ratio is now up to 3:2.

I started in the fall of 1968, when the upperclass mantra was "Gone are
the days when men were men and giants walked the earth." The first
female undergrads were admitted in the fall of 1970.

Louis

From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Uno <merrilljensen(a)q.com> wrote:
(snip, I wrote)

>> Oh, that long ago. It seems that the ratio is now up to 3:2.

> Glen, did you not take abstract algebra, and if so do you not remember
> your text? This could be the first known example of you forgetting
> something.

No, I never took it. I was APh undergrad, which already had
enough classes in addition to some that I wanted to take
that weren't required (such as the CS class on compilers).
It seems that Ma5 is optional for Physics, but it is not on the
list for APh.

-- glen

From: Louis Krupp on
> Uno<merrilljensen(a)q.com> wrote:
> (snip, I wrote)
>
>>> Oh, that long ago. It seems that the ratio is now up to 3:2.
>
>> Glen, did you not take abstract algebra, and if so do you not remember
>> your text? This could be the first known example of you forgetting
>> something.
>
> No, I never took it. I was APh undergrad, which already had
> enough classes in addition to some that I wanted to take
> that weren't required (such as the CS class on compilers).
> It seems that Ma5 is optional for Physics, but it is not on the
> list for APh.

I don't think they had an Applied Physics major when I was there. There
was Physics, and there was Engineering. Online programming was done in
CITRAN, in which floating point was reportedly an afterthought.

Louis