From: Uno on
I feel very optimistic today that a lot of hard work is beginning to pay
off.

For me today, this revolves around this program:

$ gfortran -Wall -Wextra judy1.f90 -o out.exe
$ ./out.exe
rough opening is 36.000000
encasing is 2.5000000
finished opening is 33.500000
left_gap is 0.50000000
right_gap is 0.50000000
spar is 32.500000
middle is 31.000000
gap is 3.5000000
$ cat judy1.f90
implicit none

integer, parameter :: sp = selected_real_kind(3,7)

real (kind=sp):: rough_opening, encasing, fin_opening
real (kind=sp):: left_gap, right_gap, spar
real (kind=sp):: top_hinge, bottom_hinge, middle
real (kind=sp):: picket_width, gap, number
! values
rough_opening = 36
encasing = 2.5
left_gap = .5
right_gap = .5
top_hinge = 52
bottom_hinge = 10
picket_width = 5.5
number = 4

! calculations
fin_opening = rough_opening - encasing
spar = fin_opening - left_gap - right_gap
middle = (top_hinge + bottom_hinge) / 2.0_sp
gap = (spar - (number*picket_width))/(number-1)

! output
print *, "rough opening is ", rough_opening
print *, "encasing is ", encasing
print *, "finished opening is ", fin_opening
print *, "left_gap is ", left_gap
print *, "right_gap is ", right_gap
print *, "spar is ", spar
print *, "middle is ", middle
print *, "gap is ", gap
endprogram

! gfortran -Wall -Wextra judy1.f90 -o out.exe
$

In order to adapt this to field conditions, I am going to need a fortran
compiler. I usually solve this problem by having a memory stick to do
this, but it has gone missing. Tja.

q1) Is there someplace on the net that will compile f90 code and show
you the output?

q2) Does anybody know where you can order memory sticks that don't have
the unkillable nagware?

Life is beautiful in the U.S.A.
--
Uno
From: Uno on
Uno wrote:

> q1) Is there someplace on the net that will compile f90 code and show
> you the output?

No takers. Shoot. This would be a Useful Thing.

> q2) Does anybody know where you can order memory sticks that don't have
> the unkillable nagware?

I'm at my wit's end with memory sticks. I bought one at office depot
that doesn't work.

As it was, I just used the same method of building the gate that I
calculated before, but since I had no precision, I created it from first
principles in carpentry. Symmetry was my friend. I used my sawhorses
and a metal bifold door to create a plane in the garage, some 50 feet
from the gate's ultimate location.

I hung it upside down twice, so to speak. In my 100+ degree in the
shade mind, I recalled the first group that Gallian introduces in his
classic _Contemporary Abstract Algebra_, the group of rotations of a square.

Out of curiosity, what book do you remember for abstract algebra? I'll
bet more than 50% of respondents say Herstein.
--
Uno
From: Gib Bogle on
> Out of curiosity, what book do you remember for abstract algebra? I'll
> bet more than 50% of respondents say Herstein.

Birkhoff & McLane
From: Louis Krupp on
On 7/22/2010 3:32 PM, Uno wrote:

> Out of curiosity, what book do you remember for abstract algebra? I'll
> bet more than 50% of respondents say Herstein.

Elements of Abstract Algebra, Richard A. Dean, 1964

I met Dr. Dean at the beginning of my ill-advised stint at Caltech.
Nice guy, as I recall. I took algebra (Math 5) my sophomore years. The
instructor was John McKay. Nice guy as well. No one could have accused
him of not speaking English, since he was Scottish, but I understood
maybe every other word he said. The class was late enough in the day so
that I always showed up. I got B's the first two quarters and an A the
third quarter, which I think had more to do with half the class having
dropped than with me getting smarter.

I got kicked out of Tech, basically, in the middle of my junior year
(sleeping through most of my morning classes was not a predictor of
academic success), so although I was a math major, I never got around to
taking Math 120, which I'd heard described as (Math 5)!.

I still have my Elements of Algebra book.

Rotation groups remind of one of the chapters, which I think was called
"Chemical Applications of Group Theory." I may have actually understood
some of that.

Louis
From: Uno on
Gib Bogle wrote:
>> Out of curiosity, what book do you remember for abstract algebra?
>> I'll bet more than 50% of respondents say Herstein.
>
> Birkhoff & McLane

I've leafed through this and heard it called a classic. Birkhoff the
younger never got a Ph.D:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrett_Birkhoff

If I recall correctly about Maclane, his short stint at the university
of Chicago was unusually productive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saunders_Mac_Lane

What a list of accomplishments!
--