From: Moi on
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 14:32:53 +0000, Nicolas George wrote:

> Geoff Clare wrote in message
> <ln9eg7-lo7.ln1(a)leafnode-msgid.gclare.org.uk>:
>> there is a technical reason why they couldn't: there are some Linux
>> behaviours that are intentionally different from POSIX (as documented
>> in the LSB).
>
> I sometimes came across similar discrepancies between (documented)
> behaviour and standard for certified systems. I do not remember the
> details though.

When DU 5.1 replaced DU4.2, the new kill(1) command refused to accept a
signal=0 argument, which is often used in shell scripts to check the validity of PIDs.
That is the kind of change that does not make sense.

Linus's choice does make some sense.
But I don't know if it is worth differing from the standards.

AvK