From: Robert Grasso on
Hello,

I personally solved my stability issues when, rather than letting Samba find automatically the AD servers, I stated them clearly :

- I stated clearly my "password server =" in smb.conf
- I stated clearly my /etc/krb5.conf

I am running on CentOS 5.5, samba 3.0.33.

Apart from that : I have installed SFU on my Windows 2003 AD servers; to me, it seems that getent passwd <username> yields a result
for the accounts which have an Unix account declared in AD through the "Unix attributes", and only for these ones (?).

Regards

---
Robert GRASSO – System engineer

CEDRAT S.A.
15 Chemin de Malacher - Inovallée - 38246 MEYLAN cedex - FRANCE
Phone: +33 (0)4 76 90 50 45 - Fax: +33 (0)4 56 38 08 30
mailto:robert.grasso(a)cedrat.com - http://www.cedrat.com

Hi Robert,

thanks for your reply.

On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 17:45 +0200, Robert Grasso wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I personally solved my stability issues when, rather than letting Samba find automatically the AD servers, I stated them clearly :
>
> - I stated clearly my "password server =" in smb.conf

I already list my servers in "password server =", altough I do have the
impression that Samba may have problems with my 2008R2 servers. I'll try
playing with the settings.

> - I stated clearly my /etc/krb5.conf

Do you mean fill in /etc/krb5.conf properly or should I refer to it
somewhere in the smb.conf file? I'm sure my krb5.conf is correct is I
was using it in my old setup using kerberos+ldap authentication. I
found some reference on the Internet to an smb.conf variable "use
kerberos keytab = yes" however this doesn't seem to be accepted for
Samba 3.4.7

> I am running on CentOS 5.5, samba 3.0.33.
>
> Apart from that : I have installed SFU on my Windows 2003 AD servers; to me, it seems that getent passwd <username> yields a result
> for the accounts which have an Unix account declared in AD through the "Unix attributes", and only for these ones (?).

I think that's expected behaviour. idmap_ad looks upo uid/gid from AD
but doesn't create its own mapping if it doesn't find one. So any user
that doesn't have a proper unix uid/gid field won't show up. I also
noticed idmap_ad looks at the Windows Primary Group as gid in stead of
the group field on the unix tab. Therefor the Windows Primary Group also
needs to have a valid unix id assigned.

Nico

--
With kind regards

Nico De Ranter
Senior System Administrator
Techsoft Centre

Technology and Software Centre Europe
The Corporate Village - Da Vincilaan 7-D1 - B-1935 Zaventem - Belgium

Phone: +32 (0)2 700 8641
Fax: +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail: nico.deranter(a)eu.sony.com

A division of Sony Europe (Belgium) N.V.
VAT BE 0413.825.160 - RPR Brussels
Fortis - BIC GEBABEBB - IBAN BE41293037680010

Hi Robert,

On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 11:32 +0200, Robert Grasso wrote:
> Hello Nico,
>
> I am unsure I will be able to help you further with this topic, I am not a Samba nor AD master ...

Thanks for trying anyway. Very much appreciated :-)

> > I already list my servers in "password server =", altough I
> > do have the
> > impression that Samba may have problems with my 2008R2
> > servers. I'll try
> > playing with the settings.
>
> I cannot tell for 2008R2, we don't have this version yet ...
>

> > > - I stated clearly my /etc/krb5.conf
> >
> > Do you mean fill in /etc/krb5.conf properly or should I refer to it
> > somewhere in the smb.conf file? I'm sure my krb5.conf is correct is I
> > was using it in my old setup using kerberos+ldap authentication. I
> > found some reference on the Internet to an smb.conf variable "use
> > kerberos keytab = yes" however this doesn't seem to be accepted for
> > Samba 3.4.7
>
> I just filled it up properly, but did not mention Kerberos in any way in smb.conf

Doh, that's what I have too.

Any chance you could send me a copy of your smb.conf?

Nico

--
With kind regards

Nico De Ranter
Senior System Administrator
Techsoft Centre

Technology and Software Centre Europe
The Corporate Village - Da Vincilaan 7-D1 - B-1935 Zaventem - Belgium

Phone: +32 (0)2 700 8641
Fax: +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail: nico.deranter(a)eu.sony.com

A division of Sony Europe (Belgium) N.V.
VAT BE 0413.825.160 - RPR Brussels
Fortis - BIC GEBABEBB - IBAN BE41293037680010

> > I just filled it up properly, but did not mention Kerberos
> in any way in smb.conf
>
> Doh, that's what I have too.
>
> Any chance you could send me a copy of your smb.conf?

well, no problem, I am sure it is not a great piece of smb.conf, actually : here it is : it is the one for my desktop : I removed
the comments and our private names and IPs :

[global]
netbios name = short
workgroup = WG
realm = WG.LAN
server string = Samba Server - long_name
hosts allow = 10.0. 127.
smb ports = 445
#printcap name = /etc/printcap
printcap name = cups
load printers = yes
printing = cups
cups options = raw
log level = 1
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 10000
security = ADS
password server = s1,s2
encrypt passwords = yes
preferred master = no
name resolve order = wins bcast
wins server = IP1 IP2
dns proxy = yes
idmap domains = ALLDOMAINS
idmap config ALLDOMAINS:backend = ad
idmap config ALLDOMAINS:default = yes
idmap config ALLDOMAINS:schema_mode = sfu
idmap config ALLDOMAINS:range = 500 - 20000
template homedir = /home/%U
winbind use default domain = yes
winbind separator = +
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
winbind nss info = template sfu
winbind offline logon = true
winbind refresh tickets = true

Some comments :
- I used "netbios name", as my desktop Unix name is longer than 15 characters - Windows or Samba did not like it ...
- we have two names for our AD domain - our winadmin did not solve this issue so far, thus I put one name as the "workgroup" and the
other name as the kerberos "realm" ...
- I let "template homedir" in smb.conf by sheer lazyness, with SFU I don't use it
- I used to set "winbind offline logon" and "winbind refresh tickets" when my Samba was unstable, they were tests - then, once I
found the true solution, lazyness again ...

Hope this helps
---
Robert GRASSO
System Engineer

CEDRAT
15, Chemin de Malacher - Inovallée - 38246 MEYLAN Cedex - FRANCE
Tel: +33 (0)4 76 90 50 45 Fax: +33 (0)4 76 90 16 09
mailto:Robert.Grasso(a)cedrat.com
---
Support service : mailto:support(a)cedrat.com
Commercial service : mailto:cedrat(a)cedrat.com
Web site : http://www.cedrat.com

Hello Nico,

I am unsure I will be able to help you further with this topic, I am not a Samba nor AD master ...

> I already list my servers in "password server =", altough I
> do have the
> impression that Samba may have problems with my 2008R2
> servers. I'll try
> playing with the settings.

I cannot tell for 2008R2, we don't have this version yet ...

> > - I stated clearly my /etc/krb5.conf
>
> Do you mean fill in /etc/krb5.conf properly or should I refer to it
> somewhere in the smb.conf file? I'm sure my krb5.conf is correct is I
> was using it in my old setup using kerberos+ldap authentication. I
> found some reference on the Internet to an smb.conf variable "use
> kerberos keytab = yes" however this doesn't seem to be accepted for
> Samba 3.4.7

I just filled it up properly, but did not mention Kerberos in any way in smb.conf

Best regards

---
Robert GRASSO
System Engineer