From: Jackie on
On 5/15/2010 01:59, Jackie wrote:
I didn't answer your question *exactly*. The reason why you add "%path%"
is that you need to include your own paths, and include whatever it was
already.
From: Jackie on
I mean what it was previously set.
From: Jackie on
Can't answer properly and can't even write properly. I need some sleep
now. Haha.
From: Erik Toussaint on
On 15-5-2010 0:52, Uno wrote:
> Why would a person put in %path% when he's setting the path:?

As Jackie said, this is done to append a directory to the existing path,
instead of completely replacing it.

If you type:

set path=%dir%\bin

the path environment variable will now contain only that single
directory. Anything it contained before is wiped. However, if you type:

set path=%dir%\bin;%path%

the path variable will now contain anything it did before, _plus_ the
directory you added.

> and what can you do about foldovers so as not to make them happen?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. What context are you talking about?

Erik.
From: Uno on
On 5/14/2010 7:20 PM, Erik Toussaint wrote:
> On 15-5-2010 0:52, Uno wrote:
>> Why would a person put in %path% when he's setting the path:?
>
> As Jackie said, this is done to append a directory to the existing path,
> instead of completely replacing it.
>
> If you type:
>
> set path=%dir%\bin
>
> the path environment variable will now contain only that single
> directory. Anything it contained before is wiped. However, if you type:
>
> set path=%dir%\bin;%path%
>
> the path variable will now contain anything it did before, _plus_ the
> directory you added.

Gotcha. That makes sense.

>> and what can you do about foldovers so as not to make them happen?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this. What context are you talking about?

What happens with these paths is that they get long enough for certain
apps to add some form of a newline character thrown in there along the
way when you post it on usenet and paste it into notebook.

I would like a batch file to be idiot-proof, as that idiot will be me
coming back at the same material 5-10 years from now, having forgotten
the lessons of the day.

Does does contemporary ms-dos scripting have a continuation character?
--
Uno