From: Tobias Burnus on
FX wrote:
>> 2. This is of lesser importance, but which of the two above is
>> considered more up to date as to the latest fortran'03 features ? It
>> is, I repeat, of lesser importance, but their information pages are so
>> confusing to me, that I just cannot understand where development of
>> each of them currently stands.

Regarding the implementation status of Fortran 2003 and Fortran 2008
features, see ACM SIGPLAN Fortran Forum
(http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1667140.1667145) - or slightly older at
http://fortranwiki.org/fortran/show/Fortran+2003+status

For gfortran see also for the status
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Fortran2003Status
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Fortran2008Status
and for the release notes (changes)
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.5/changes.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.4/changes.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.3/changes.html

> They both have partial, but far from complete support for F2003. In
> particular, g95 has co-array supports (runtime is shareware), while

I think the coarray console only works under Linux (or at least there
seem to be only Linux binaries).

Tobias
From: Paul Thomas on
Out of curiosity, during an extremely boring meeting, I downloaded and
extracted the equation.com gcc-4.5.0 snapshot package onto a memory
stick. I thought that this would be a good test because I have
absolutely no administrator rights on my work laptop :-)

It worked perfectly. I tried compiling and running a few progams and
encountered no problems. One nice feature of this package is that it,
as well as gcc, gfortran and g++, comes with all sorts of bits and
pieces like gdb, make etc..

http://www.equation.com/servlet/equation.cmd?call=fortran

Regards

Paul Thomas
From: Arjen Markus on
On 15 mrt, 15:53, Paul Thomas <paul.richard.tho...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, during an extremely boring meeting, I downloaded and
> extracted the equation.com gcc-4.5.0 snapshot package onto a memory
> stick. I thought that this would be a good test because I have
> absolutely no administrator rights on my work laptop :-)
>
> It worked perfectly.  I tried compiling and running a few progams and
> encountered no problems.  One nice feature of this package is that it,
> as well as gcc, gfortran and g++, comes with all sorts of bits and
> pieces like gdb, make etc..
>
> http://www.equation.com/servlet/equation.cmd?call=fortran
>
> Regards
>
> Paul Thomas

I have done the same thing, well, not during a boring meeting. It all
gets
installed without much ado. I like it better than some of the other
distributions
I know of.

Regards,

Arjen
From: James Van Buskirk on
"Paul Thomas" <paul.richard.thomas(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> Out of curiosity, during an extremely boring meeting, I downloaded and
> extracted the equation.com gcc-4.5.0 snapshot package onto a memory
> stick. I thought that this would be a good test because I have
> absolutely no administrator rights on my work laptop :-)

> It worked perfectly. I tried compiling and running a few progams and
> encountered no problems. One nice feature of this package is that it,
> as well as gcc, gfortran and g++, comes with all sorts of bits and
> pieces like gdb, make etc..

> http://www.equation.com/servlet/equation.cmd?call=fortran

The www.equation.com package is the most usable of the Windows x64
ones (g95 doesn't have a Windows x64 version), and installation
really is a snap, but it does write to your PATH variable (and
maybe EQ_LIBRARY_PATH -- but maybe I did that myself). So maybe
the installation on that stick won't work on another machine.
What I like to do is to create a new command prompt and point it
at a new *.BAT file. Here is one for 32-bit gfortran:

@echo off
Title Build environment for 32-bit gfortran equation solutions
set
path=C:\gcc_equation32\bin;C:\gcc_equation32\libexec\gcc\i386-pc-mingw32\4.5.0;%path%
set EQ_LIBRARY_PATH=C:\gcc_equation32\i386-pc-mingw32\lib;%EQ_LIBRARY_PATH%

If you put such a command prompt and Shortcut.bat file on your
thumb drive then I would give it a better chance of working when
plugged in to another random (Windows) computer. You could test
this by taking your thumb drive to a coffeeshop and borrowing
anyone's laptop. Mmmm... but how do you know the drive letter for
your thumb drive on the computer you are going to plug it in to?
I'm sure there's a solution, but it might make the Shortcut.bat
file a bit more complicated.

6.0134700243160014d-154/),(/'x'/)); end

From: Jason Blevins on
On 2010-03-15, Tobias Burnus <burnus(a)net-b.de> wrote:
> Regarding the implementation status of Fortran 2003 and Fortran 2008
> features, see ACM SIGPLAN Fortran Forum
> (http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1667140.1667145) - or slightly older at
> http://fortranwiki.org/fortran/show/Fortran+2003+status

This was a good opportunity to update this table--something I've been
meaning to do since December:

http://fortranwiki.org/fortran/show/Fortran+2003+status

I was happy to update quite a few entries thanks to your continued
hard work on gfortran, and that of many others!

--
Jason Blevins
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Economics, Duke University