From: Greg Russell on
When I start vlc on CentOS 5.4, it has always complained about outdated
glibc, yet vlc has worked properly, allowing me to take snapshots of the
video stream whenever desired. The newly updated version crashes after a
snapshot is taken, although the still image is completely saved.

The glibc et. al. are the most recent available for CentOS 5.4 from the yum
repositories. I know that the glibc libraries are critical to system
operation, so is there aything that can be done to solve this problem? I
suppose I could always downgrade to an earlier version of vlc if necessary,
but the newer version has some nice added features, so I'd like to upgrade
the glibc libraries if possible without risking system stability.

Pertinent info:

$ vlc --version
VLC media player 1.0.3 Goldeneye
LibVLC has detected an unusable buggy GNU/libc version.
Please update to version 2.8 or newer.
VLC version 1.0.3 Goldeneye
$ rpm -qa | grep -E "vlc|glibc" | sort
compat-glibc-headers-2.3.4-2.26
glibc-2.5-42
glibc-common-2.5-42
glibc-devel-2.5-42
glibc-headers-2.5-42
glibc-utils-2.5-42
vlc-1.0.3-48.1.el5

From: Sam on
Greg Russell writes:

> When I start vlc on CentOS 5.4, it has always complained about outdated
> glibc, yet vlc has worked properly, allowing me to take snapshots of the
> video stream whenever desired. The newly updated version crashes after a
> snapshot is taken, although the still image is completely saved.
>
> The glibc et. al. are the most recent available for CentOS 5.4 from the yum
> repositories. I know that the glibc libraries are critical to system
> operation, so is there aything that can be done to solve this problem? I
> suppose I could always downgrade to an earlier version of vlc if necessary,
> but the newer version has some nice added features, so I'd like to upgrade
> the glibc libraries if possible without risking system stability.

The only stable upgrade path for glibc on CentOS that does not risk system
stability is via the built upgrade RPMs that are released for CentOS. If you
do not have newer RPMs available, you have no options.

CentOS is not the right distribution if you need to live on the bleeding
edge. CentOS uses stable, older, versions of various packages. To be on the
bleeding edge, Fedora is what you want, instead.

From: Wanna-Be Sys Admin on
Greg Russell wrote:

> When I start vlc on CentOS 5.4, it has always complained about
> outdated glibc, yet vlc has worked properly, allowing me to take
> snapshots of the video stream whenever desired. The newly updated
> version crashes after a snapshot is taken, although the still image is
> completely saved.
>
> The glibc et. al. are the most recent available for CentOS 5.4 from
> the yum repositories. I know that the glibc libraries are critical to
> system operation, so is there aything that can be done to solve this
> problem? I suppose I could always downgrade to an earlier version of
> vlc if necessary, but the newer version has some nice added features,
> so I'd like to upgrade the glibc libraries if possible without risking
> system stability.
>
> Pertinent info:
>
> $ vlc --version
> VLC media player 1.0.3 Goldeneye
> LibVLC has detected an unusable buggy GNU/libc version.
> Please update to version 2.8 or newer.
> VLC version 1.0.3 Goldeneye
> $ rpm -qa | grep -E "vlc|glibc" | sort
> compat-glibc-headers-2.3.4-2.26
> glibc-2.5-42
> glibc-common-2.5-42
> glibc-devel-2.5-42
> glibc-headers-2.5-42
> glibc-utils-2.5-42
> vlc-1.0.3-48.1.el5

If you update past what CentOS and the respository you use likes, you
will probably have an unstable system, or experience other problems.
My opinion, is if software requires some version above what is stable
and trusted, then I'd never use them. I used to consider trying to do
all sorts of crazy things to get some software to work, when my work
required it, but it never worked out right, it wasn't worth the effort.
Hopefully this issue is just a bug they can resolve, but I have found
that a lot of softwares just don't care about things like RHEL and
CentOS and sometimes have better support for Debian or Fedora or
Gentoo, which is just really annoying because those aren't all
considered so edge.
--
Not really a wanna-be, but I don't know everything.
From: Greg Russell on
On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 19:02:24 -0800, Wanna-Be Sys Admin wrote:

> If you update past what CentOS and the respository you use likes, you
> will probably have an unstable system, or experience other problems. My
> opinion, is if software requires some version above what is stable and
> trusted, then I'd never use them. I used to consider trying to do all
> sorts of crazy things to get some software to work, when my work
> required it, but it never worked out right, it wasn't worth the effort.
> Hopefully this issue is just a bug they can resolve, but I have found
> that a lot of softwares just don't care about things like RHEL and
> CentOS and sometimes have better support for Debian or Fedora or Gentoo,
> which is just really annoying because those aren't all considered so
> edge.

Thank you. I "rolled back" the vlc version to what works acceptably with
the current glibc.

From: John Hasler on
Wanna-Be Sys Admin writes:
> ...I have found that a lot of softwares just don't care about things
> like RHEL and CentOS and sometimes have better support for Debian or
> Fedora or Gentoo, which is just really annoying because those aren't
> all considered so edge.

It doesn't get much more "edge" than Debian/Unstable.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com