From: Robert Riches on
Is anyone successfully using the devilspie program?

The documentation mentions it was written to make up for a lack
of function in Metacity. Can it work with other window managers,
twm for example?

I'm trying to configure it to work with twm, and it doesn't seem
to do anything. With several windows open, I issue this command:

devilspie -ad test-printstring.ds

Here's the content of the named test script (indentation added):

(println "Testing")

Here's what is sent to the terminal from which it was started
(indentation added):

Devil's Pie 0.22 starting...
1 s-expressions loaded.

Then, I create and destroy a couple of windows. Nothing else is
printed to the terminal. I have tried it with and without the -a
option with the same result.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42(a)verizon.net
From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Robert Riches may or may not have written...

> Is anyone successfully using the devilspie program?

Yes.

> The documentation mentions it was written to make up for a lack of function
> in Metacity. Can it work with other window managers, twm for example?

Yes.

> I'm trying to configure it to work with twm, and it doesn't seem to do
> anything. With several windows open, I issue this command:
> devilspie -ad test-printstring.ds
> Here's the content of the named test script (indentation added):
> (println "Testing")
> Here's what is sent to the terminal from which it was started
> (indentation added):
> Devil's Pie 0.22 starting...
> 1 s-expressions loaded.
> Then, I create and destroy a couple of windows. Nothing else is printed to
> the terminal. I have tried it with and without the -a option with the same
> result.

Are you trying to say that there's a problem there?

--
| Darren Salt | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds ,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army
| + http://www.xine-project.org/

out-of-office auto-reply: n. burglary instructions.
From: Robert Riches on
On 2009-12-06, Darren Salt <news(a)youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid> wrote:
> I demand that Robert Riches may or may not have written...
>
>> Is anyone successfully using the devilspie program?
>
> Yes.

Good to know.

>> The documentation mentions it was written to make up for a lack of function
>> in Metacity. Can it work with other window managers, twm for example?
>
> Yes.

Good to know.

>> I'm trying to configure it to work with twm, and it doesn't seem to do
>> anything. With several windows open, I issue this command:
>> devilspie -ad test-printstring.ds
>> Here's the content of the named test script (indentation added):
>> (println "Testing")
>> Here's what is sent to the terminal from which it was started
>> (indentation added):
>> Devil's Pie 0.22 starting...
>> 1 s-expressions loaded.
>> Then, I create and destroy a couple of windows. Nothing else is printed to
>> the terminal. I have tried it with and without the -a option with the same
>> result.
>
> Are you trying to say that there's a problem there?

Yes, the println never executed--not for existing windows with
the -a option and not for new windows with and without the -a
option. Other example s-expressions created by gdevilspie did
not print what they should have.

Also, with the -d option (or with a '(debug)' s-expression), it
is supposed to print info about the current window it's working
on. None of that ever printed.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42(a)verizon.net
From: James Michael Fultz on
* Robert Riches <spamtrap42(a)verizon.net>:
> Is anyone successfully using the devilspie program?

I've used it a couple of years ago with Xfce (xfwm).

> The documentation mentions it was written to make up for a lack
> of function in Metacity. Can it work with other window managers,
> twm for example?

I think that Devil's Pie works with any window manager that is
EWMH-compliant. However, I don't think that TWM is.

--
James Michael Fultz <xyzzy(a)sent.as.invalid>
Remove this part when replying ^^^^^^^^
From: Darren Salt on
I demand that James Michael Fultz may or may not have written...

> * Robert Riches <spamtrap42(a)verizon.net>:
>> Is anyone successfully using the devilspie program?

> I've used it a couple of years ago with Xfce (xfwm).

Me too.

>> The documentation mentions it was written to make up for a lack of
>> function in Metacity. Can it work with other window managers, twm for
>> example?

> I think that Devil's Pie works with any window manager that is
> EWMH-compliant. However, I don't think that TWM is.

Hmm. The man page has nothing about requiring EWMH compliance...

--
| Darren Salt | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds ,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army
| + http://www.xine-project.org/

The greatest griefs are those we cause ourselves.