From: no.top.post on
I tried to install:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wily/files/baseline/0.13.42/wily-0.13.42.tar.gz/download

But I get compiler syntax errors at libXg/libgint.h, around:
>extern GC _getfillgc(Fcode, Bitmap*, unsigned long);
>extern GC _getcopygc(Fcode, Bitmap*, Bitmap*, int*);
>extern GC _getgc(Bitmap*, unsigned long, XGCValues *);

Since I don't know C/C++, I'm guessing that "extern GC" means
"call the '_getfillgc' 3-arg-function from the external 'GC" module ?

Is GC a function that's part of the OS ?

How do I look at the interface of an OS-provided C-function ?

== TIA.

From: despen on
no.top.post(a)gmail.com writes:

> I tried to install:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/wily/files/baseline/0.13.42/wily-0.13.42.tar.gz/download
>
> But I get compiler syntax errors at libXg/libgint.h, around:
>>extern GC _getfillgc(Fcode, Bitmap*, unsigned long);
>>extern GC _getcopygc(Fcode, Bitmap*, Bitmap*, int*);
>>extern GC _getgc(Bitmap*, unsigned long, XGCValues *);
>
> Since I don't know C/C++, I'm guessing that "extern GC" means
> "call the '_getfillgc' 3-arg-function from the external 'GC" module ?
>
> Is GC a function that's part of the OS ?
>
> How do I look at the interface of an OS-provided C-function ?

Those look like function prototypes.
They are declaring the return values and parameters to the "_getx"
functions.

Without the specific error message it's hard to guess what the problem
is but I'd guess you are missing a -devel package so one of the return
types or parms isn't known.

In the above, you need at least:

a #define for GC which might be an int
a defintion for Fcode which might be a typedef or struct
a defintion for Bitmap
a defintion for XGCValues
From: Robert Heller on
At Sun, 6 Dec 2009 14:56:10 +0000 (UTC) no.top.post(a)gmail.com wrote:

> I tried to install:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/wily/files/baseline/0.13.42/wily-0.13.42.tar.gz/download
>
> But I get compiler syntax errors at libXg/libgint.h, around:

Please show the *complete* error message(s).

> >extern GC _getfillgc(Fcode, Bitmap*, unsigned long);
> >extern GC _getcopygc(Fcode, Bitmap*, Bitmap*, int*);
> >extern GC _getgc(Bitmap*, unsigned long, XGCValues *);
>
> Since I don't know C/C++, I'm guessing that "extern GC" means
> "call the '_getfillgc' 3-arg-function from the external 'GC" module ?

No. It means the _getfillgc is an 'extern'al (global) function that
returns something of type GC (I suspect that this is a X11 Graphics
Context).

I'm suspecting that the ./configure step had an error -- we'll need that
too.

Also: what distro are you using? What version of that distro?

Most likely, you are missing some packages (developmental packages most
likely). There might also exist a pre-built binary package for the
software you are looking to install, that have been built for your distro.

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller(a)deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/