From: root on
Is there a way to pause a running process from
a different console?
From: John Reiser on
> Is there a way to pause a running process from
> a different console?

Only if you have sufficient permission (capability)
to become a debugger of that process. See PTRACE_ATTACH.

From: David Brown on
root wrote:
> Is there a way to pause a running process from
> a different console?

kill -STOP <pid>

Continue with:

kill -CONT <pid>

mvh.,

David

From: root on
John Reiser <jreiserfl(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>> Is there a way to pause a running process from
>> a different console?
>
> Only if you have sufficient permission (capability)
> to become a debugger of that process. See PTRACE_ATTACH.

Thanks, but not what I need. I want to be able to
start a job in one console, then pause it from
another console. In particular, the job I want
to start is mplayer which pulls up its own
X and I lose control from the starting console.
I want to be able to pause the X. All these
are run on a remote machine.
From: root on
David Brown <david.brown(a)hesbynett.removethisbit.no> wrote:
> root wrote:
>> Is there a way to pause a running process from
>> a different console?
>
> kill -STOP <pid>
>
> Continue with:
>
> kill -CONT <pid>
>
> mvh.,
>
> David

Perfect. Believe it or not I did man KILL before
asking. My man page doesn't mention these options.