From: Rahul on
I know how to load modules using modprobe. But these are lost on a
reboot. How does one make this permanant?

e.g. for IPMI I usually load:

modprobe ipmi_devintf
modprobe ipmi_si
modprobe ipmi_msghandler

How do I make this happen automatically on each reboot? Of course, I can
just put it in some shell init file but that seems like a hack.

Googling seems to point to "modprobe.conf" but that seems more by way of
setting aliases it seems. What's the best way out?

--
Rahul
From: Robert Heller on
At Mon, 7 Dec 2009 00:24:56 +0000 (UTC) Rahul <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> I know how to load modules using modprobe. But these are lost on a
> reboot. How does one make this permanant?
>
> e.g. for IPMI I usually load:
>
> modprobe ipmi_devintf
> modprobe ipmi_si
> modprobe ipmi_msghandler
>
> How do I make this happen automatically on each reboot? Of course, I can
> just put it in some shell init file but that seems like a hack.

If IPMI is something you always use, then it is perfectly normal to
create an script in /etc/init.d (or /etc/rc.d/init.d/) and set it up
like any other boot script or if you are lazy, put the modprobe's in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local -- which ever works for you.

Is there a deamon associated with IPMI? If so, the init script for the
deamon should be doing the modprobe's and if it isn't, there is
something wrong with the daemon's init script.

> Googling seems to point to "modprobe.conf" but that seems more by way of
> setting aliases it seems. What's the best way out?

"modprobe.conf" can also do things like bind special block and character
devices to kernel modules and to define special things that need to be
done when installing or removing modules. I guess it depends on how the
modules are used.

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller(a)deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

From: Bill Marcum on
On 2009-12-07, Rahul <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> I know how to load modules using modprobe. But these are lost on a
> reboot. How does one make this permanant?

/etc/modules, at least in Debian and Ubuntu.

From: Rahul on
Bill Marcum <marcumbill(a)bellsouth.net> wrote in news:h620v6-5u.ln1
@marcumbill.bellsouth.net:

> /etc/modules, at least in Debian and Ubuntu.

I have CentOS. Doesn't seem to have the file.

--
Rahul
From: Bill Marcum on
On 2009-12-07, Rahul <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Bill Marcum <marcumbill(a)bellsouth.net> wrote in news:h620v6-5u.ln1
> @marcumbill.bellsouth.net:
>
>> /etc/modules, at least in Debian and Ubuntu.
>>

> I have CentOS. Doesn't seem to have the file.

You could grep the init.d directory to see if any scripts would read it
if it exists, if not you could create such a script.