From: Geir on
Hi,

Which outgoing ports do I need to open in my firewall to be able to use
wget from a debian box?

regards geir
From: Don Piven on
Geir wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Which outgoing ports do I need to open in my firewall to be able to use
> wget from a debian box?
>
> regards geir

wget can use a variety of protocols, depending on the URL you give it.
You would need to open appropriate ports for the protocols you expect to
use; http and ftp for starters.
From: Baron on
Don Piven wrote:

> Geir wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Which outgoing ports do I need to open in my firewall to be able to
>> use wget from a debian box?
>>
>> regards geir
>
> wget can use a variety of protocols, depending on the URL you give it.
> You would need to open appropriate ports for the protocols you expect
> to use; http and ftp for starters.

AFAIAA You shouldn't have to open any ports for outgoing ! The firewall
should let anything out unless you have specifically blocked outgoing
traffic.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Geir Holmavatn on
Baron skrev:
> AFAIAA You shouldn't have to open any ports for outgoing ! The firewall
> should let anything out unless you have specifically blocked outgoing
> traffic.

We have now, and it stopped working :-)

I just wanted to try to find out which port..

Can I set some logging or verbose mode to actually see which port wget
is trying to use in my case..?

geir
From: Stan Bischof on
Geir Holmavatn <geir56(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Baron skrev:
>> AFAIAA You shouldn't have to open any ports for outgoing ! The firewall
>> should let anything out unless you have specifically blocked outgoing
>> traffic.
>>

> We have now, and it stopped working :-)
>
> I just wanted to try to find out which port..
>
> Can I set some logging or verbose mode to actually see which port wget
> is trying to use in my case..?

look at your firewall log, assuming it exists and you can get to it.

Otherwise fire up Wireshark or the like and see what is being
requested.

Then the fun: convincing your IT folks to open the firewall!

Stan