From: Stephen on
Hi,

I bought what I believed was an unlocked phone from carphone
warehouse. A vodafone sim works in it and an o2 sim works in it but
not a t-mobile sim.

I tried another phone which came from asda. Same story: the t-mobile
sim will not work in it but other sims do.

When the t-mobile sim is used, the phone powers up but the "t-mobile"
does not appear in the screen as if there is no network. There is also
a funny symbol: it's an arrow a bit like a mirror reflection of an L,
pointing across and up but t-mobile don't know what it means. It
appears on both phones.

What does it mean? Can these phones be unlocked to both o2 and
vodafone but somehow locked to prevent t-mobile sims?

The t-mobile sim works in an old t-mobile phone I have and has been
tested in several phones in the t-mobile store and it worked in them,
so I think it is unlikely to be a faulty sim.

They don't know nor do I! Do you?

Thanks.
Stephen.
From: Peter on
On 10 Aug 2010, Stephen <stephen(a)nowhere.com.invalid> wrote:

>I bought what I believed was an unlocked phone from carphone
>warehouse. A vodafone sim works in it and an o2 sim works in it but
>not a t-mobile sim.

At first glance I'd have said it was working OK on 900 MHz but not 1800 MHz
but the Asda SIM ought to have worked (AFAIK it uses the Vodafone network),
but it looks like some sort of block on what networks can be used.

>They don't know nor do I! Do you?

With no info about what phone (make and model) it's a needle in a haystack.
From: J B on
"Stephen" <stephen(a)nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message

> I bought what I believed was an unlocked phone from carphone
> warehouse. A vodafone sim works in it and an o2 sim works in it but
> not a t-mobile sim.

You don't say what the phone is.
Is it dual band?
O2 and voda use one band whereas T.Mob and Orange use another

--
J B

From: Stephen on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 17:47:34 +0100, Peter
<drop.all.mailANTISPAMMERS(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>At first glance I'd have said it was working OK on 900 MHz but not 1800 MHz
>but the Asda SIM ought to have worked

The asda sim does work, it's t-mobile that doesn't. It's a nokia 2330
classic, so a basic phone but even so it is dual band (just checked on
the nokia site), I wouldn't have thought anyone made single band
phones any more?
From: Woody on
"J B" <jb(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
> "Stephen" <stephen(a)nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
>
>> I bought what I believed was an unlocked phone from carphone
>> warehouse. A vodafone sim works in it and an o2 sim works in
>> it but
>> not a t-mobile sim.
>
> You don't say what the phone is.
> Is it dual band?
> O2 and voda use one band whereas T.Mob and Orange use another
>

> --
> J B

Actually Voda and O2 use both bands - T-Mob and Lemon do not.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com