From: Del Cecchi on

"Andy "Krazy" Glew" <ag-news(a)patten-glew.net> wrote in message
> Terje Mathisen wrote:
>> I'm somewhat in love with the idea of a multi-level table:
>>
>> A large shared but simple (2-bit counter or similar) augmented with
>> a small exception table per core which only stores branch info for
>> branches that have missed in the large table.
>>
>> Is this even feasible? :-)
>
> Yes.
>
> But when I submitted papers on such designs, 1996-2000, they got
> rejected.
>
> Daniel Jimenez eventually broke through, with the second level table
> being a great big neural net predictor.

The east Anglia hack has revealed the glory of peer review. Your
papers may have been rejected because they offended one of the
reviewers pre conceived notions.

From: Robert Myers on
On Nov 28, 9:20 pm, "Del Cecchi" <delcecchioftheno...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

> The east Anglia hack has revealed the glory of peer review.  Your
> papers may have been rejected because they offended one of the
> reviewers pre conceived notions.

Every field where prestige is money is going to have similar
problems. This one had to be coming. Physical reality is never so
simple as the popular theology we've been hearing.

Robert.
From: Bernd Paysan on
Robert Myers wrote:

> On Nov 28, 9:20 pm, "Del Cecchi" <delcecchioftheno...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The east Anglia hack has revealed the glory of peer review. Your
>> papers may have been rejected because they offended one of the
>> reviewers pre conceived notions.
>
> Every field where prestige is money is going to have similar
> problems. This one had to be coming. Physical reality is never so
> simple as the popular theology we've been hearing.

The problems Wikipedia (especially the German one) is having lately with
people rather deleting articles than writing new ones and thereby
driving out volunteers shows that it doesn't even need money or prestige
for having these problems. Peer review means that only non-
controversial articles will be published. This means progress is only
allowed into the direction where the participants in peer review think
it should happen.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/