From: nicol on
hi all
i am new to programing c#
plz recommend me some c sharp books
is dietel& dietel good book ? ? ?
how many time i must get to programing to be a good programmer ? ? ?
& do u think c# is the best program to learn ? ? ?
when i should learn SQL server ?
thanks of all
From: Konrad Neitzel on
Hi nicol,

nicol wrote on 07.05.10
in microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
> i am new to programing c#
That is no problem. Everyone started one time in the past. So you are
welcome and we will always try to help when possible.

> plz recommend me some c sharp books
> is dietel& dietel good book ? ? ?

I just did a quick search on google and found this promising site:
http://www.freeprogrammingresources.com/csharp-books.html

Just look into some of these free books. I think that "Sams Teach Yourself
C# in 24 Hours" sounds prommising. Also the "C# The Basics".

> how many time i must get to programing to be a good programmer ? ? ?
Hmm ... hard question. I am developig software quite long now (Started
long time ago on Turbo C 2.0 from Borland in a time, where at least
Borland had no C++ compiler. And stayed on c / C++ quite long. But I am
still learning a lot each day - and that is the fun part of this job: You
always learn something new.

> & do u think c# is the best program to learn ? ? ?
I think, that you should start with anything managed. This takes a big
load from your shoulders because you must not care about allocating and
freeing memory. C# is one of the possible languages and you already
started a little: So I do not see a reason to switch. But of course:
VB.Net, Java and Objective-C are also available languages that can be
nice.

> when i should learn SQL server ?
You should start slowly. SQL Server is just a database and some software
simply needs a database. As soon as you have to write on such a project,
you simply should take a real database and learn SQL. But I would not mix
to much stuff together. Start with a programing language and then get more
and more done ... So after the code language, you maybe want to look in
details at some of these topics: Windows Forms, Windows Presentation
Foundation, ADO.Net, ... (But again: Do not start with that if it is not
neccessary!)

I hope I was able to give you some points that helped a little.

Konrad
--
Konrad Neitzel - neitzel(a)neitzel.de
MCTS SQL Server 2008, Database Development

From: nicol on
On May 7, 2:29 pm, neit...(a)neitzel.de (Konrad Neitzel) wrote:
> Hi nicol,
>
> nicol wrote on 07.05.10
> in microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp> i am new to programing c#
>
> That is no problem. Everyone started one time in the past. So you are
> welcome and we will always try to help when possible.
>
> > plz recommend me some c sharp books
> > is dietel& dietel good book ? ? ?
>
> I just did a quick search on google and found this promising site:http://www.freeprogrammingresources.com/csharp-books.html
>
> Just look into some of these free books. I think that "Sams Teach Yourself
> C# in 24 Hours" sounds prommising. Also the "C# The Basics".
>
> > how many time i must get to programing to be a good programmer ? ? ?
>
> Hmm ... hard question. I am developig software quite long now (Started
> long time ago on Turbo C 2.0 from Borland in a time, where at least
> Borland had no C++ compiler. And stayed on c / C++ quite long. But I am
> still learning a lot each day - and that is the fun part of this job: You
> always learn something new.
>
> > & do u think c# is the best program to learn ? ? ?
>
> I think, that you should start with anything managed. This takes a big
> load from your shoulders because you must not care about allocating and
> freeing memory. C# is one of the possible languages and you already
> started a little: So I do not see a reason to switch. But of course:
> VB.Net, Java and Objective-C are also available languages that can be
> nice.
>
> > when i should learn SQL server ?
>
> You should start slowly. SQL Server is just a database and some software
> simply needs a database. As soon as you have to write on such a project,
> you simply should take a real database and learn SQL. But I would not mix
> to much stuff together. Start with a programing language and then get more
> and more done ... So after the code language, you maybe want to look in
> details at some of these topics: Windows Forms, Windows Presentation
> Foundation, ADO.Net, ... (But again: Do not start with that if it is not
> neccessary!)
>
> I hope I was able to give you some points that helped a little.
>
> Konrad
> --
> Konrad Neitzel - neit...(a)neitzel.de
> MCTS SQL Server 2008, Database Development

thank a lot ( more than any thing) your help was very big
From: Peter Duniho on
nicol wrote:
> hi all
> i am new to programing c#
> plz recommend me some c sharp books
> is dietel& dietel good book ? ? ?

Sorry, but I don't have enough first-hand experience with any of the
beginners C# books to recommend one. Jon Skeet's "C# in Depth" is IMHO
one of the better general C# books around, but it's not really written
as a beginner's guide, and I'm not sure how much of it would make sense
to someone with no programming experience at all.

> how many time i must get to programing to be a good programmer ? ? ?

It's like anything else. If you are diligent and and stay focused, you
can achieve a basic level of competency in less than a year, maybe much
less depending on your age, experience with related activities, and
innate learning ability.

But like most professions, programming is both a very "deep" and a very
"broad" subject. It can take years before you have enough experience
and training to be considered really _good_ at it, and there will always
be a large body of knowledge that you'll never know, because the subject
is simply too broad for any one person to know everything there is to
know about it.

> & do u think c# is the best program to learn ? ? ?

I think it really depends on how you're learning. As much as I love C#,
I think that for someone who has no programming experience at all, there
are probably better environments in which to get used to the idea of
programming. There's a lot about programming that is the same no matter
what language you're using (and there's a pretty disparate range of
languages out there), and as good as C# is, it and similar structured
languages impose a lot of requirements on the programmer that can make
it difficult for a beginner to deal with.

There are some languages that are truly designed for beginners,
including BASIC, Logo, and more recently things like Scratch and Alice.
The latter two aren't even "languages" in the sense that we normally
think of them; they are graphical environments where most of the
construction of a program involves dragging and dropping the pieces of
your program into place (ironically, they are especially "structured",
but IMHO still suitable for the beginner because the environment does a
lot to help you understand the structure, rather than the structure
being some arbitrary and invisible thing you need to comply with, as in C#).

But all that said, if you want to learn how to program using C#, there's
nothing wrong with that per se. Especially if you have someone willing
to guide you, you'll be able to learn programming just fine using C#,
and as a structured OOP language it will naturally introduce you to some
of the most important programming concepts that are so important in the
industry today.

> when i should learn SQL server ?

For sure, at least not until you know enough about programming that you
can write a simple program from scratch without having ask anyone else
for help with the error messages. Perhaps much later than even that. :)

I agree with Konrad that you should not be in a hurry to try to connect
C# or another language with SQL (a language) or SQL Server (a specific
implementation of that language). Programming is hard enough to get
one's head around without trying to learn two completely different
programming environments at once.

Pete
From: Steve Thackery on

"nicol" <nicol.young20(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> plz recommend me some c sharp books
> is dietel& dietel good book ? ? ?

I can recommend two books, as I'm pretty much a beginner, too. It depends
on how experienced you are in other languages. If you are NOT experienced,
and are really a novice programmer, I would recommend 'C# in easy steps', by
Tim Anderson.

Starting at a slightly higher level, and going somewhat further, is
'Microsoft Visual C# .Net Step by Step', by John Sharp and Jon Jagger,
published by Microsoft Press. This is a great book to follow on from the
"...in easy steps" book, and will consolidate a lot of what you've learned,
as well as moving you forward.

'C# Essentials' by O'Reilly is a useful reference book, but no good for
learning the language.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the Dietel & Dietel book, so cannot
comment.

SteveT

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2