From: redbull on
Hi guys, I'm using sql server 2008 express.
my problem is this:
I use vb.net, when i try to loggin to sql server using windows
authentication, it says it s busy.....so I must close the program or
viceversa....
Why can't I loggin with the same login from 2 different softwares? How can I
solve?
Thanks

From: Erland Sommarskog on
redbull (redbull(a)libero.it) writes:
> Hi guys, I'm using sql server 2008 express.
> my problem is this:
> I use vb.net, when i try to loggin to sql server using windows
> authentication, it says it s busy.....so I must close the program or
> viceversa....
> Why can't I loggin with the same login from 2 different softwares? How
> can I solve?

Hm, a start could be to tell us what you are doing. You say "2 different
softwares", but you only mention VB .Net. What is the other software?

Could you post the exact error message you get?

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: redbull on
From: "Erland Sommarskog" <esquel(a)sommarskog.se>

> Hm, a start could be to tell us what you are doing. You say "2 different
> softwares", but you only mention VB .Net. What is the other software?
>
> Could you post the exact error message you get?

I am developing/testing a program written in vb with stored procedure.
I run 2 processes of this program ( 1 in realease in mode and the other in
debug mode for tesing concurrency). At same time I wanna keep open sqlserver
management studio but I can't: impossible to open the physical
file:"pleiadi.mdf", system operative error 32:"32 file is used by another
process)" microsfot sql server error: 5120)

On the other hand, if database is open with sqlsms, when i try to launch my
program i get the error:
Impossibile to open the defult user database: user 'evs_I5-PC\evs_I5' can't
access

In both cases I'm using windows authentication

Thanks

From: Erland Sommarskog on
redbull (redbull(a)libero.it) writes:
> I am developing/testing a program written in vb with stored procedure.
> I run 2 processes of this program ( 1 in realease in mode and the other
> in debug mode for tesing concurrency). At same time I wanna keep open
> sqlserver management studio but I can't: impossible to open the physical
> file:"pleiadi.mdf", system operative error 32:"32 file is used by
> another process)" microsfot sql server error: 5120)

Am I right to guess that your connection string includes

UserInstance=true

and

AttachDBFilename=....

In such case you are starting up two user instances, that both tries
to attach the same file.

Unless you have any particular reason to use these options, I would
suggest that you remove them, and specify the database name with the
connection-string property Initial Catalog.

If you want to use user instance and the AttachDBFileName option,
you need to have multiple instances of the database file, and
construct the path to AttachDBFilename accordingly.

> On the other hand, if database is open with sqlsms, when i try to launch
> my program i get the error:
> Impossibile to open the defult user database: user 'evs_I5-PC\evs_I5'
> can't access

When you connect with SSMS you connect to the parent instance for the
user instances.

Links for SQL Server Books Online: