From: Cecil Westerhof on
When giving [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Delete] you can log out, shutdown and
reboot. Personally I think it would be nice if you could also select
suspend and hibernate. Would it be possible to integrate those
options?

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer
From: David Bolt on
On Wednesday 28 Jul 2010 11:27, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
Cecil Westerhof painted this mural:

> When giving [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Delete] you can log out, shutdown and
> reboot. Personally I think it would be nice if you could also select
> suspend and hibernate. Would it be possible to integrate those
> options?

On KDE4 on openSUSE 11.2, key combo that pops up the logout box. The
shutdown on it has a sub-menu allowing the additional option of
"suspend to disc", possibly because it's a desktop system not a
notebook, which is accessible by clicking and holding on the shutdown
button.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net
| | openSUSE 11.3RC2 32b |

From: Cecil Westerhof on
Op woensdag 28 jul 2010 13:17 CEST schreef David Bolt:

> On Wednesday 28 Jul 2010 11:27, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
> Cecil Westerhof painted this mural:
>
>> When giving [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Delete] you can log out, shutdown and
>> reboot. Personally I think it would be nice if you could also select
>> suspend and hibernate. Would it be possible to integrate those
>> options?
>
> On KDE4 on openSUSE 11.2, key combo that pops up the logout box. The
> shutdown on it has a sub-menu allowing the additional option of
> "suspend to disc", possibly because it's a desktop system not a
> notebook, which is accessible by clicking and holding on the shutdown
> button.

I did not see that. Very handy to know. By shutdown you can hibernate
and suspend and by reboot you can select in which OS you want to
reboot.

But I am not easy to please. I would like to work keyboard based. In
this situation you need to use your mouse. Is there a way to do it
completely with the keyboard?

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer
From: J G Miller on
On Wednesday, July 28th, 2010 at 14:55:43h +0200, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> Is there a way to do it completely with the keyboard?

Yes.

Assuming you still have an /etc/inittab (it is now
/etc/init/control-alt-delete.conf for systems with upstart),
you make the appropriate settings in there.

# Trap CTRL-ALT-DELETE
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

You can have CTRL-ALT-DELETE do one thing, CTRL-ALT-UPARROW
another, CTRL-ALT-DOWNARROW do yet another etc.

Be very careful though or ensure that you have a rescue CD, because
if you make an error in /etc/inittab you may not get a working system.

From: Cecil Westerhof on
Op woensdag 28 jul 2010 16:24 CEST schreef J. G. Miller:

On Wednesday, July 28th, 2010 at 14:55:43h +0200, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

>> Is there a way to do it completely with the keyboard?
>
> Yes.
>
> Assuming you still have an /etc/inittab (it is now
> /etc/init/control-alt-delete.conf for systems with upstart),
> you make the appropriate settings in there.
>
> # Trap CTRL-ALT-DELETE
> ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now
>
> You can have CTRL-ALT-DELETE do one thing, CTRL-ALT-UPARROW
> another, CTRL-ALT-DOWNARROW do yet another etc.
>
> Be very careful though or ensure that you have a rescue CD, because
> if you make an error in /etc/inittab you may not get a working
> system.

Thanks. I will look into it.

--
Cecil Westerhof