From: John W. Vinson on
On Fri, 14 May 2010 15:05:37 GMT, "mls via AccessMonster.com" <u55943(a)uwe>
wrote:

>Tom, I fixed the syntax error.
>If the sample appears twice in the list then only I have to execute my code
>and change the TestNo. In order to capture the duplicate sampleid I am using
>dcount function to count. I can't use the WHERE clause as my samples change
>each and every time and I don't know what they will be.

You certainly do NOT need to know the sample number to find duplicates. Could
you explain the logic which identifies which records need to be updated? A
Query referencing the table should certainly be able to do this.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: mls via AccessMonster.com on
Sample group TestNo
29045 IG Test 1
29053 IG Test 1
29053 IR Test 1
29067 IG Test 1
29067 IR Test 1

John, In the above table, I want to update Testno, only for the records which
has same sampleid and different group( 'IG') as 'Test 2'. TestNo for record
should not change.

Thanks

From: mls via AccessMonster.com on
Sorry, I mean TestNo for first record should not change as this sample has
single record.

From: Tom van Stiphout on
On Fri, 14 May 2010 15:05:37 GMT, "mls via AccessMonster.com"
<u55943(a)uwe> wrote:

Sorry, MLS, but it seems apparent you need professsional programming
assistance to complete this task. In my mind one of the problems is
that the criteria have not rigorously been defined. If they have in
your mind, then the issue is of communicating this to the developer.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

From: John W. Vinson on
On Fri, 14 May 2010 16:36:41 GMT, "mls via AccessMonster.com" <u55943(a)uwe>
wrote:

>Sample group TestNo
>29045 IG Test 1
>29053 IG Test 1
>29053 IR Test 1
>29067 IG Test 1
>29067 IR Test 1
>
>John, In the above table, I want to update Testno, only for the records which
>has same sampleid and different group( 'IG') as 'Test 2'. TestNo for record
>should not change.

UPDATE tablename AS A
SET [TestNo] = "Test 2"
WHERE EXISTS
(SELECT B.[Sample] FROM tablename AS B
WHERE B.Sample = A.Sample
AND B.Group <> A.Group)

should work, if I understand you correctly (but back up your database first
because I probably don't!)
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]