From: Guo Jiahua on
I wander if it's possible for a non-root user to get access into a .iso
file.

I know if I'm root, I can mount iso. but when I try to mount it, as I'm
not root, 'mount' sais "mount: only root can do that".

Thanks.

On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 22:25:18 +0800, Guo Jiahua wrote:

> I wander if it's possible for a non-root user to get access into a .iso
> file.
>
> I know if I'm root, I can mount iso. but when I try to mount it, as I'm
> not root, 'mount' sais "mount: only root can do that".

Using "sudo"? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On 8/1/2010 9:25 AM, Guo Jiahua wrote:
> I wander if it's possible for a non-root user to get access into a .iso
> file.
>
> I know if I'm root, I can mount iso. but when I try to mount it, as I'm
> not root, 'mount' sais "mount: only root can do that".
>
> Thanks.

I guess you could, theoretically, while I've never personally tried but:
BossHog.local:~# aptitude show fuseiso
Package: fuseiso
State: not installed
Version: 20070708-1
provides a module to mount ISO filesystem images using FUSE. With FUSE
it is possible to implement a fully functional filesystem in a userspace
program.
Homepage: http://fuse.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FuseIso

I snipped some useless information that you can just aptitude yourself
but you can try it and let us know how it works out. If it works good, I
would personally love to know so I check it out further.

在 2010-08-01日的 10:08 -0500,Jordon Bedwell写道:
> On 8/1/2010 9:25 AM, Guo Jiahua wrote:
> > I wander if it's possible for a non-root user to get access into a .iso
> > file.
> >
> > I know if I'm root, I can mount iso. but when I try to mount it, as I'm
> > not root, 'mount' sais "mount: only root can do that".
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> I guess you could, theoretically, while I've never personally tried but:
> BossHog.local:~# aptitude show fuseiso
> Package: fuseiso
> State: not installed
> Version: 20070708-1
> provides a module to mount ISO filesystem images using FUSE. With FUSE
> it is possible to implement a fully functional filesystem in a userspace
> program.
> Homepage: http://fuse.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FuseIso
>
> I snipped some useless information that you can just aptitude yourself
> but you can try it and let us know how it works out. If it works good, I
> would personally love to know so I check it out further.

I tried fuseiso, and i can get access to the files inside.
But i must join the group 'fuse' first.

Thank you for your help.

Guo Jiahua <gjhdgm(a)gmail.com> writes:

> I wander if it's possible for a non-root user to get access into a .iso
> file.
>
> I know if I'm root, I can mount iso. but when I try to mount it, as I'm
> not root, 'mount' sais "mount: only root can do that".

The isoinfo package contains isoinfo and isodump which give you some
access. You will have to decide if they give you enough access for
what you need.
--
Carl Johnson carlj(a)peak.org