From: ~hp-hdx~ on
Hi,
I used Cisco/Linksys network magic, software that came with the router, to
set it up and it issued the name Linsys to the router. This is confusing.
I want to name it, and have been unable to find a way to change the router's
name. Also, it set the username and password for router access and I also
want to change them, but have been unable to find a way to do it. I can
access the router with 192.168.1.1, but can not find a place to change the
SSID, User Name, or Password.
Any help much appriciate.

Al

ps: This is a vista home premium system

From: Lem on
~hp-hdx~ wrote:
> Hi,
> I used Cisco/Linksys network magic, software that came with the router, to
> set it up and it issued the name Linsys to the router. This is confusing.
> I want to name it, and have been unable to find a way to change the
> router's
> name. Also, it set the username and password for router access and I also
> want to change them, but have been unable to find a way to do it. I can
> access the router with 192.168.1.1, but can not find a place to change the
> SSID, User Name, or Password.
> Any help much appriciate.
>
> Al
>
> ps: This is a vista home premium system

You could start by reading the User Guide that came with your router.

Failing that, identify the model of your router, so somebody can read
the manual for you.

For Linksys routers in general, the username/password for access to the
router's web configuration utility is on the "Setup" tab at "Basic
Setup" and the SSID name is on the "Wireless" tab at "Basic Wireless
Settings."

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: ~hp-hdx~ on
Thanks Len for taking the time to reply.
I did read the manual and did locate the wifi tab, and setup tabs, but
was unable to see how to change the user name or ssid. I will try again
tomorrow. Sorry for failing to identify the router, its a
cisco/linksys WRT54G2.
By the way, in the past I set up this router manually, instead of using
the software that came with it, and had no trouble setting my own
user name, password, and SSID. If I can't see how to change them,
I guess I'll just reset it and do it manually.
Al

From: Lem on
~hp-hdx~ wrote:
> Thanks Len for taking the time to reply.
> I did read the manual and did locate the wifi tab, and setup tabs, but
> was unable to see how to change the user name or ssid. I will try again
> tomorrow. Sorry for failing to identify the router, its a
> cisco/linksys WRT54G2.
> By the way, in the past I set up this router manually, instead of using
> the software that came with it, and had no trouble setting my own
> user name, password, and SSID. If I can't see how to change them,
> I guess I'll just reset it and do it manually.
> Al
>
> "Lem" <lemp40(a)unknownhost> wrote in message
>> ~hp-hdx~ wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I used Cisco/Linksys network magic, software that came with the
>>> router, to
>>> set it up and it issued the name Linsys to the router. This is
>>> confusing.
>>> I want to name it, and have been unable to find a way to change the
>>> router's
>>> name. Also, it set the username and password for router access and I
>>> also
>>> want to change them, but have been unable to find a way to do it. I can
>>> access the router with 192.168.1.1, but can not find a place to
>>> change the
>>> SSID, User Name, or Password.
>>> Any help much appriciate.
>>>
>>> Al
>>>
>>> ps: This is a vista home premium system
>>>

>> You could start by reading the User Guide that came with your router.
>>
>> Failing that, identify the model of your router, so somebody can read
>> the manual for you.
>>
>> For Linksys routers in general, the username/password for access to
>> the router's web configuration utility is on the "Setup" tab at "Basic
>> Setup" and the SSID name is on the "Wireless" tab at "Basic Wireless
>> Settings."
>>
>> --
>> Lem
>>
>> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
>> http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/40th/index.html

As you learned in the past, there is no need to use the s/w "wizard" to
configure the router. It's easy to do manually. By the same token,
there's no need to reset things in order to do manual setup. Be aware
that if you reset the router, either from the configuration utility or
by using the reset button, you will reset *all* of the router's
settings, including any settings you made to enable the router to
connect to your ISP.

There are 3 different versions of the WRT54G2 and the manuals differ
slightly.

A. Change the username/password for access to the router's setup
configuration
1. This is explained at pages 19-20 of the User Guide (it's also
explained on page 4, but without as much detail). Access the router's
web configuration utility by entering the password that you set in the
initial setup. Leave the username blank (my experience with Linksys
routers is that you can enter anything in the username field; the router
ignores it).
2. Click on the "Administration" tab.
3. If the "Management" sub-screen isn't already showing (it should be),
click on "Management".
4. The box to enter a new router access password is the very first item
at the top of the screen. Enter a new password. Enter the same
password in the box below to confirm.
5. There is no place to change the "username" for router access. The
router does not use "username" (see above).
6. Click "Save Settings" at the bottom of the screen to save your changes.

B. Wireless network SSID
1. This is explained at page 10 of the User Guide. While you are in the
router's configuration utility, click the "Wireless" tab.
2. Select "Manual." Proceed to the "Basic Wireless Settings" section.
3. Enter the network name where it says "Wireless Network Name (SSID)."
4. At this same screen, you can also set the wireless mode (G-only,
B-only, or Mixed), and set the wireless channel. In general, use
channel 1, 6, 11 (depending on what your neighbors use).
5. Do NOT select the button to "Disable SSID Broadcast."