From: Bill the Greek Bill the on
I installed MS Office on my main computer, registered and validated it. It
runs fine. I installed MS Office (same product) on my second computer and
when I try to open a new doc in Word or Excel a window pops up and tells me I
have to purchase the software, because many features are disabled.
From: Gordon on

"Bill the Greek" <Bill the Greek(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I installed MS Office on my main computer, registered and validated it.
> It
> runs fine. I installed MS Office (same product) on my second computer and
> when I try to open a new doc in Word or Excel a window pops up and tells
> me I
> have to purchase the software, because many features are disabled.

Did you activate the second copy? Did you look at the EULA (on the first
copy) to see if you can even install on a second machine? (Usually the
second install must be on a PORTABLE machine...)

From: Terry Farrell on
If this is an OEM version, then it belongs one computer only, the one that
it was purchased with. It cannot be install anywhere else.

If it is a retail version, then you can install it on a desktop and a
portable providing it is on one or the other at any given time. In this
case, you may need to call Microsoft to activate it the second time.

If it is a Home and Student version, then it should install fine on both.
See below.

However, when you installed it on your second device, did it have an expired
trial version (or about to expire) installed? Did you uninstall it before
installing the new version?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

From: Terry Farrell on
The second paragraph has a missing word. It should read:

If it is a retail version, then you can install it on a desktop and a
portable providing it is ONLY USED on one or the other at any given time.

Terry

From: Gordon on

> The second paragraph has a missing word. It should read:
>
> If it is a retail version, then you can install it on a desktop and a
> portable providing it is ONLY USED on one or the other at any given time.

Does it not say as well that the portable must be owned by the owner of the
primary device?