From: star on
I am wondering how to ssave my unfinished windows movie maker project to a cd
or flash drive rather than having it only on my computer's harddrive. I can
save it to the hard drive, but when I try to save it to a cd or a flash drive
it will not open the project on another computer. This leads me to believe
that I do not have the entire project saved correctly. When I try to open
the project none of my pictures show up on the storyboard, there are red x's
on the storyboard. When I click the play button I get a black screen. I
would just like to be able to have a backup of the entire project somewhere
other than my harddrive, you never know when a computer might crash and I
don't want to start over.
--
star
From: Gord Dibben on
A project file is *.mswmm and contains only markers to the video.

Copying just that file to CD will not have the requisite video or photos
attached so that's why you get the red x's and a black screen.

You will have to copy the *.mswmm file back to HDD if you lose the original.

But if you also lose the video or photo files when the computer goes bad the
project file will be of no use.

Make backups of all those also.

Gord

From: star on
So if there is no way to save the entire project (while I'm working on it
from day to day) to another location other than the hard drive, is it
possible to burn the video to a cd or dvd then edit that video at a later
date?
--
star

From: Graham Hughes on
So long as you copy all the files associated with the project, then all you
need to do is spend a little time re-linking the files in the project.

When you save the file to your flash drive in your #1 pc it may be drive D,
but on pc #2 it may be drive F, so even though all files are there they are
in the "wrong" place.

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media