From: gissineth on
i have been trying to find a way to round the value of a quotient to specific
decimal places but I keep getting errors. Is there a way to round quotients
to specific decimal places?
From: Ron Rosenfeld on
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 14:17:01 -0800, gissineth
<gissineth(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>i have been trying to find a way to round the value of a quotient to specific
>decimal places but I keep getting errors. Is there a way to round quotients
>to specific decimal places?

Use the ROUND function. It's use is well outlined in HELP.

If you are using it, and getting errors, you'll need to post back with some
examples, and information about your errors.
--ron
From: Joe User on
"gissineth" wrote:
> i have been trying to find a way to round
> the value of a quotient to specific decimal
> places but I keep getting errors. Is there
> a way to round quotients to specific decimal
> places?

It would be helpful if you showed us some examples and explained what the
error is. It might have nothing to do with rounding to a specific number of
decimal places per se.

For example, ROUND(A1/B1,2) rounds to 2 decimal places. But that can result
in an error if B1 is zero. The fix might be IF(B1=0,0,ROUND(A1/B1,2)).

But that is a WAG, due to a dearth of information. There are a myriad of
other possible errors in the data.
From: Bernard Liengme on

Suppose A1 hold the numbers 200, then =A1/3 gives 66.666666666...
The formula =ROUND(A1/3,2) will give the result of the division to two
decimal places as in 66.67
However, if the cell is formatted to show more than two decimals you may see
66.6700000
with zeros after the required two decimals.
The answer is still correct to 2 decimals.
If cell A2 has =A1/3 then the formula =A2*3 will give 200
But if A2 as =ROUND(A1/3,2) , then the formula =A2*3 will give 200.01
Does this explain things?
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"gissineth" <gissineth(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i have been trying to find a way to round the value of a quotient to
> specific
> decimal places but I keep getting errors. Is there a way to round
> quotients
> to specific decimal places?

Pages: 1
Prev: Text
Next: Sum the last 5 numbers in a column