From: Hemant on
Hi,
Thanks for reply
Here I am explain in detail what I want to do .
void Application_BeginRequest(object sender, EventArgs e)
{

Here I pass book-asp.html to DataBase to get the ID where it match the
same name book-asp.html
If in my database there are two product in different category of same name
as book-asp.html .
or If i put the same product in two category than I got the wrong categoryid
so
I want to pass that category id from previous page so that i can fetch right
product with right categoryid.
}

that's why I want to pass a ID .
hope you can understand my problem.
Thanks,
Hemant

"Alexey Smirnov" <alexey.smirnov(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
Hemant, I don't think you understand the problem. All what you need is
to have something like this

void Application_BeginRequest(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
string url = Context.Request.Url.AbsolutePath;

if (url.Equals("/book-asp.html"))
Context.RewritePath("/Product.aspx?ID=100", false);
}

where you don't need any query string because the requested url is
book-asp.html and not Product.aspx?ID=100.

Hope this helps

From: Alexey Smirnov on
On Sep 25, 11:26 am, "Hemant" <Hem...(a)nomail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for reply
> Here I am explain in detail what I want to do .
> void Application_BeginRequest(object sender, EventArgs e)
> {
>
>   Here I pass book-asp.html to DataBase to get the ID where it match the
> same name book-asp.html
>  If in my database there are two product in different category of same name
> as book-asp.html .
> or If i put the same product in two category than I got the wrong categoryid
> so
> I want to pass that category id from previous page so that i can fetch right
> product with right categoryid.
>
> }
>
> that's why I want to pass a ID .
> hope you can understand my problem.
> Thanks,
> Hemant

You can try to use Request.UrlReferrer.ToString() to get referrer url
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.httprequest.urlreferrer.aspx

But I think this could lead to a problem: when there is no referrer,
you can't identify "right" categoryid, and users may not use direct
url to that page. Search engines will have troubles with indexing...
From: Hemant on
Hi,
Thanks for this.
As you say this is not good for search engines indexing than I don't want to
use this because all of this is only for search engin indexing.
Can you tell me that if i pass www.test.com/book-asp.html?id=100 or
www.test.com/book-asp.html?100 will make any affect to the search engin
indexing.
If this does't make any trouble than i think my search ends here if not
than i have to try more.
thanks for your support and reply.

From: Alexey Smirnov on
On Sep 25, 1:07 pm, "Hemant" <Hem...(a)nomail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for this.
> As you say this is not good for search engines indexing than I don't want to
> use this because all of this is only for search engin indexing.
> Can you tell me that if i passwww.test.com/book-asp.html?id=100orwww.test.com/book-asp.html?100will make any affect to the search engin
> indexing.
> If this does't make any trouble than i  think my search ends here if not
> than i have to try more.
> thanks for your support and reply.
> thanks,
> hemant"Alexey Smirnov" <alexey.smir...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Sep 25, 11:26 am, "Hemant" <Hem...(a)nomail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> > Thanks for reply
> > Here I am explain in detail what I want to do .
> > void Application_BeginRequest(object sender, EventArgs e)
> > {
>
> > Here I pass book-asp.html to DataBase to get the ID where it match the
> > same name book-asp.html
> > If in my database there are two product in different category of same name
> > as book-asp.html .
> > or If i put the same product in two category than I got the wrong
> > categoryid
> > so
> > I want to pass that category id from previous page so that i can fetch
> > right
> > product with right categoryid.
>
> > }
>
> > that's why I want to pass a ID .
> > hope you can understand my problem.
> > Thanks,
> > Hemant
>
> You can try to use Request.UrlReferrer.ToString() to get referrer urlhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.httprequest.urlref...
>
> But I think this could lead to a problem: when there is no referrer,
> you can't identify "right" categoryid, and users may not use direct
> url to that page. Search engines will have troubles with indexing...- Hide quoted text -

If all this was for SEO, then you can leave it as it is. While Static
URLs might have a slight advantage, Google and other major SE do not
have any problems to index dynamic links, especially when you have
just "page.aspx?id=100". Having ".html" instead of ".aspx" will not
help too. If you definitely need it, you can consider one of the
following links

/Product100.aspx
/100.aspx
/100/Book.aspx
/Product.aspx/100

Each link would work for well for users and SEO
From: Gregory A. Beamer on
"Hemant" <Hemant(a)nomail.com> wrote in

> Hi ,
> Thanks for your replies.
> I am doing url rewriting .
> In Application_BeginRequest i want to get ID's of the string.
> At this function I call the Context.Rewrite Path to Redirect the
> correct page
> What I need that I want to store that ID some where so that I can
> pass that ID to the Right page.
> For Example :
> My URL is www.Test.com/book-asp.html
> But the actual URL for this is www.Test.com/Product.aspx?ID = 100
> I want to get this ID at that function so that I can call the correct
> page with correct ID.
> Thanks,
> Hemant

The norm to URL rewrite is using an HTTP Handler rather than trying to
write it in your ASP.NET application. There are plenty of web pages that
describe setting up this type of URL rewrite.

If you can go to 3.5 SP1, you can also use URL Routing, which will also
be a part of .NET 4.0.

Peace and Grace,

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Twitter: @gbworld

My vacation and childhood cancer awareness site:
http://www.crazycancertour.com

| Think outside the box! |