From: Atiz on
Hi all, I have just downloaded log4CPP and am intending to use it for
logging and debugging purposes in my c++ project. I'm currently using
MS Visual Studio 2005. What I gathered from sourceforge.net is that I
should use the files present in msvc6 folder.
I have opened it in a new project and have only included log4cpp files
and testmain.cpp and tried compiling.

On compiling, I have errors of which I'm not sure how to solve these
errors:

error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing Custom
Build Step" log4cpp

error BK1506 : cannot open file '.\Debug\Appender.sbr': No such file or

directory BSCMAKE

the rest are all link errors.

What should I do to compile them properly? Later if it compiles nicely
in this project, I want to use it to log statements in my c++ project.
Must I add this project to my existing project? Or is it possible to
compile it as a DLL or some log4cpp.properties that I can use in my
project? I noticed there is a log4cpp.dll folder too.

Thanks in advance for helping!

Atiz

From: Stuart Redmann on
Atiz wrote:
> Hi all, I have just downloaded log4CPP and am intending to use it for
> logging and debugging purposes in my c++ project. I'm currently using
> MS Visual Studio 2005. What I gathered from sourceforge.net is that I
> should use the files present in msvc6 folder.
> I have opened it in a new project and have only included log4cpp files
> and testmain.cpp and tried compiling.
>
> On compiling, I have errors of which I'm not sure how to solve these
> errors:
>
> error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing Custom
> Build Step" log4cpp

Googling for this error code yields that it will be issued when some
tool of the custom build step returns a non-zero error code. Do you use
custom building?

> error BK1506 : cannot open file '.\Debug\Appender.sbr': No such file or
> directory BSCMAKE

This is an error from the compiler part that generated code browsing
meta-information. Try to turn this off (Project->Settings->C++->Listing
Files->Generate Browse Information under VC6.0).

Regards,
Stuart
From: Atiz on
Hi there, I've set the browsing information to none but to no avail.
Still gives me the same errors. I've found out from the buildlog file,
that it tried to find the exes below. I've checked the directory those
exes dun exist in there and I've found them in C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin\ instead. I can't find where to
change the build path or whatever that's called that is directing it to
there :(
I think when I try to set some properties, I spotted a Macro called
devEnvDir which points to
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ but i can't
change it to point other place.

Atiz

Creating temporary file "c:\Documents and
Settings\hfyap\Desktop\log4cpp-0.3.5rc3\msvc6\log4cppDLL\Release\BAT0000033000744.bat"
with contents
[
@echo off

if not exist .\Release md .\Release

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\Common7\IDE\..\..\VC98\Bin\mc.exe" -h .\Release -r .\Release
c:\Documents and
Settings\hfyap\Desktop\log4cpp-0.3.5rc3\msvc6\log4cppDLL\..\NTEventLogCategories.mc

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\Bin\RC.exe" -r
-fo .\Release\NTEventLogCategories.res
..\Release\NTEventLogCategories.rc

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\Common7\IDE\..\..\VC98\Bin\link.exe" /MACHINE:IX86 -dll -noentry
-out:.\Release\NTEventLogAppender.dll

From: Stuart Redmann on
Atiz wrote:
> Hi there, I've set the browsing information to none but to no avail.
> Still gives me the same errors. I've found out from the buildlog file,
> that it tried to find the exes below. I've checked the directory those
> exes dun exist in there and I've found them in C:\Program
> Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin\ instead. I can't find where to
> change the build path or whatever that's called that is directing it to
> there :(
> I think when I try to set some properties, I spotted a Macro called
> devEnvDir which points to
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ but i can't
> change it to point other place.

You don't have to do this, as the path of the IDE will not used directly
(see the build step for NTEventLogCategories.mc below).

> Creating temporary file "c:\Documents and
> Settings\hfyap\Desktop\log4cpp-0.3.5rc3\msvc6\log4cppDLL\Release\BAT0000033000744.bat"
> with contents
> [
> @echo off
>
> if not exist .\Release md .\Release
>
> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 8\Common7\IDE\..\..\VC98\Bin\mc.exe" -h .\Release -r .\Release
> c:\Documents and
> Settings\hfyap\Desktop\log4cpp-0.3.5rc3\msvc6\log4cppDLL\..\NTEventLogCategories.mc

Here the C++ compiler mc.exe is called on one of your source files. Note
that the path
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE
is used a base directory only. The actual path
is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\..\..\VC98\Bin
which evaluated to
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC98\Bin.

> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\Bin\RC.exe" -r
> -fo .\Release\NTEventLogCategories.res
> .\Release\NTEventLogCategories.rc
>
> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 8\Common7\IDE\..\..\VC98\Bin\link.exe" /MACHINE:IX86 -dll -noentry
> -out:.\Release\NTEventLogAppender.dll
> .\Release\NTEventLogCategories.res

What exactly is the error message? Please post it here, so that we can
see what exactly went wrong in the build process.

BTW, I can't see any C++ source codes involved in the build script. Do
you have any source added to your project?

Regards,
Stuart
From: Atiz on
Hi, the 2 errors are :

Error 1 error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing
Custom Build Step" log4cppDLL
Error 2 error BK1506 : cannot open file '.\Debug\Appender.sbr': No such
file or directory BSCMAKE

I don't think it's got to do with the source code right? There is one
chunk of source codes in the log4cpp that I have d/led lol.

Atiz