From: Terry on
Hi,

I am having a problem with conflicting versions of a dll in Windows
2003 Server. The dll name is 'libeay32.dll'. The application I am
that uses the dll is for Paymentech processing and the dll gets
installed in a special Paymentech related directory. Part of the
install also sets up access to that directory via the PATH environment
variable.

But sometime in that last 6 months, something has changed on the
server and there is now another dll by the same name that is being
installed in the C:\Windows\system directory. This dll is a different
version and is obviously being called when the Paymentech process is
triggered, causing an error (System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to
load DLL 'ptCoreSDK.dll': The operating system cannot run).

I have tried removing (renaming) the one in the Windows\system
directory. And this temporarily fixes the problem. But as soon as I
reboot the server, the 'libeay32.dll' gets reinstalled in the
windows\system directory.

I don't know what was installed that is causing the new dll to be
added (the only change I am aware of is updating to .Net 2.0).

Is there some way I can figure out what is causing this dll to be
loaded? If I could figure that out, it is possible I can just
uninstall that application, or at least begin to figure out how to
install the dll in a fashion so it would work for both.

Any ideas where I should start?

Appreciate any comments.

Terry
From: Barry on

"Terry" <myjunk(a)shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am having a problem with conflicting versions of a dll in Windows
> 2003 Server. The dll name is 'libeay32.dll'. The application I am
> that uses the dll is for Paymentech processing and the dll gets
> installed in a special Paymentech related directory. Part of the
> install also sets up access to that directory via the PATH environment
> variable.
>
> But sometime in that last 6 months, something has changed on the
> server and there is now another dll by the same name that is being
> installed in the C:\Windows\system directory. This dll is a different
> version and is obviously being called when the Paymentech process is
> triggered, causing an error (System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to
> load DLL 'ptCoreSDK.dll': The operating system cannot run).
>
> I have tried removing (renaming) the one in the Windows\system
> directory. And this temporarily fixes the problem. But as soon as I
> reboot the server, the 'libeay32.dll' gets reinstalled in the
> windows\system directory.
>
> I don't know what was installed that is causing the new dll to be
> added (the only change I am aware of is updating to .Net 2.0).
>
> Is there some way I can figure out what is causing this dll to be
> loaded? If I could figure that out, it is possible I can just
> uninstall that application, or at least begin to figure out how to
> install the dll in a fashion so it would work for both.
>
> Any ideas where I should start?
>
> Appreciate any comments.
>
> Terry

Have you tried asking the folks where you purchased Paymentech?

(Re)move libeay32.dll and see what complains.

From: Terry on

>Have you tried asking the folks where you purchased Paymentech?
>
>(Re)move libeay32.dll and see what complains.

I installed Process Explorer, and have identified that 'iexplore' is
using it. Oddly it is there right after it boots, and before I even
use Internet Explorer on the server (which I rarely do). Is it normal
for 'iexplore' to always be running?

Also, I wonder if there is some SSL extension that IE is loading
(libeay32.dll is an opensouce SSL library), that I would be able to
eliminate.