From: Charles Oliver Nutter on
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 4:04 AM, Richard Conroy
<richard.conroy(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Alternatively the JRuby gem rmagick4j uses a completely different native
> library to do the rendering
> activities (Batik I think). As a result, its installation process is
> considerably easier.
>
> C;\>jruby -S gem install rmagick4j
>
> I don't know if there are any API level discrepancies between rmagick and
> rmagick4j however.

rmagick4j is definitely incomplete, but sometimes it has enough for
individual use cases.

And FWIW, it just uses Java2D libraries shipped with every JDK/JVM, so
there shouldn't be any external dependencies (if I remember right).

Also of interest: rmagick almost installs and works now with JRuby's
new C extension support, thanks to Tim Felgentreff...though of course
the native library issues that prevent running on Windows are no
different for us. Native sux.

- Charlie

From: Jarmo Pertman on
There are already opened issues under RMagick for 1.9.1 and Windows:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=27765&group_id=12&atid=134
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=6065&group_id=12&atid=134

I succeeded some time ago compiling RMagick to Ruby 1.9.1 by using
instructions at http://www.waydotnet.com/blog/2010/02/rmagick-on-ruby-1-9-1-i386-mingw32-work-d/

Jarmo

From: Guillaume Bloss on
> I succeeded some time ago compiling RMagick to Ruby 1.9.1 by using
> instructions at
> http://www.waydotnet.com/blog/2010/02/rmagick-on-ruby-1-9-1-i386-mingw32-work-d/

succeed too, with ruby 1.9.1p429, and last imagemagick
version(6.6.3-0-Q16). That was easy in fact (not mentioning the 1h30 my
computer take to install the rdoc ...)

I just followed the tuto on www.waydotnet.com, works fine. I made a gem,
but did not try on other version of ruby.

I'm not sure of that, but you should install imagemagick, and set
imagemagic in the path, with the imagemagic version used to build your
gem