From: Jian Lin on
I wanted to install rmagick on Win7 but it can't install:
Is there any way to make it work?

C:\>gem list -r rmagick

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

rmagick (2.13.1)
rmagick4j (0.3.7, 0.3.4 java)

C:\>gem install rmagick
ERROR: Error installing rmagick:

c:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
checking for Ruby version >= 1.8.5... yes
Invalid drive specification.
Unable to get ImageMagick version
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for
more
details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
--with-opt-dir
--without-opt-dir
--with-opt-include
--without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
--with-opt-lib
--without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
--with-make-prog
--without-make-prog
--srcdir=.
--curdir
--ruby=c:/ruby/bin/ruby

Gem files will remain installed in
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rmagick-2.13.1 for inspection.
Results logged to
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rmagick-2.13.1/ext/RMagick/gem_make.out

C:\>ruby try.rb
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rmagick-2.13.1/lib/RMagick.rb:11:in
`require': no such file to load
-- RMagick2.so (LoadError)
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rmagick-2.13.1/lib/RMagick.rb:11:in
`<top (required)>'

from try.rb:3:in `require'
from try.rb:3:in `<main>'

From: Luis Lavena on
On Jul 21, 7:39 am, Jian Lin <blueskybre...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I wanted to install rmagick on Win7 but it can't install:
> Is there any way to make it work?
>
>     C:\>gem list -r rmagick
>
>     *** REMOTE GEMS ***
>
>     rmagick (2.13.1)
>     rmagick4j (0.3.7, 0.3.4 java)
>
>     C:\>gem install rmagick
>     Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
>     ERROR:  Error installing rmagick:
>             ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

RMagick compilation process is quite complicated, worse under Windows.

Please download the zip file that contains both the binary gem and the
correct precise ImageMagick version used to create the gem.

Read here for instructions:

http://rubyforge.org/frs/shownotes.php?release_id=39888

HTH
--
Luis Lavena
From: Guillaume Bloss on
I tried to install the rmagick_win32.zip but actually it does not works
with ruby 1.9.1 ...

I will try to compile it to get a working version with ruby1.9.1, but it
seems to be a very long work since I have to configure all depending
libraries by myself ... and also I cant be sure it will works, but well
it's a challenge, I work with windows and hate use old slow version ...

I think I can try to download all sources of all required libraries and
try to compile it with mingw, following the linux instruction, but under
windows.

From: Roger Pack on
winter heat wrote:
> I wanted to install rmagick on Win7 but it can't install:
> Is there any way to make it work?
>
> C:\>gem list -r rmagick
>
> *** REMOTE GEMS ***
>
> rmagick (2.13.1)
> rmagick4j (0.3.7, 0.3.4 java)
>

> C:\>gem install rmagick
> Building native extensions. This could take a while...
> ERROR: Error installing rmagick:
> ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> c:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
> checking for Ruby version >= 1.8.5... yes
> Invalid drive specification.

I've never seen that specific error message, but have had success
getting it to build.
I'm assuming you're using a rubyinstaller build of ruby.
If so, install the devkit, then look for instructions on the gem list
http://wiki.github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/gem-list

specifically here are my own:
http://betterlogic.com/roger/?p=2186

@Luis
Unfortunately the binary gems released by the rmagick team on rubyforge
are 1.8.x only, last time I checked. Of course it's been awhile since I
checked.

GL.
-r

From: Luis Lavena on
On Jul 21, 12:50 pm, Guillaume Bloss <ely...(a)elysah.fr> wrote:
> I tried to install the rmagick_win32.zip but actually it does not works
> with ruby 1.9.1 ...

It clearly states that the gem is Ruby 1.8, not 1.9.1

> I will try to compile it to get a working version with ruby1.9.1, but it
> seems to be a very long work since I have to configure all depending
> libraries by myself ... and also I cant be sure it will works, but well
> it's a challenge, I work with windows and hate use old slow version ...

Developer need to provide binaries for Ruby 1.9 since they link to
different Ruby runtime libraries.

Try first asking about it in the RubyForge page

> I think I can try to download all sources of all required libraries and
> try to compile it with mingw, following the linux instruction, but under
> windows.

I believe you can build and link with binaries of ImageMagick as long
they provide header and libs needed.

By this error:

"Invalid drive specification.
Unable to get ImageMagick version
*** extconf.rb failed *** "

It is clear that is trying to look for an ImageMagick executable to
get the version, investigate inside extconf.rb to see what is doing.

I can't help you more on this since I'm not familiar with ImageMagick
build process or internals.

Trying to fix gems to compile cleanly is a challenging task. Feel free
to jump for help at RubyInstaller project group:

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyinstaller

--
Luis Lavena