From: Maurice on
Hello:
using win xp sp3, I've programmed the power options to go to hibernate after
10 min (of inactivity), but I noticed later, that system goes to hibernate
even there is a download running, downloading a file is not an activity? is
there any trick to overcome?

thank you
Maurice

From: Jose on
On Jul 14, 3:31 pm, "Maurice" <moris...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello:
> using win xp sp3, I've programmed the power options to go to hibernate after
> 10 min (of inactivity), but I noticed later, that system goes to hibernate
> even there is a download running, downloading a file is not an activity? is
> there any trick to overcome?
>
> thank you
> Maurice

XP decides whether or not to hibernate (when the time rolls around)
based on CPU usage.

If you set your timer for 10 minutes and there is no activity that
generates at least 10% CPU usage, the system will hibernate.

If you set your timer for 10 minutes and there is an activity that
DOES generate at least 10% CPU usage, the 10 minute timer would get
reset (the 10 minutes countdown starts over).

If your downloading does not generate the needed 10% CPU activity and
your system hibernates, then it sounds like XP is working as designed,
but perhaps not as desired.

Tell your download program to do something to generate at least 10%
CPU activity at least every my_hibernate_time-1 minutes.

How are you doing this downloading? Maybe somebody knows the trick
for your method.
From: VanguardLH on
Maurice wrote:

> Hello:
> using win xp sp3, I've programmed the power options to go to hibernate after
> 10 min (of inactivity), but I noticed later, that system goes to hibernate
> even there is a download running, downloading a file is not an activity? is
> there any trick to overcome?
>
> thank you
> Maurice

First answer why you are hibernating (powering down) your host after
only 10 minutes of inactivity. Why not put the host into standby power
mode first and then go into hibernate mode somewhere like an hour or
several hours later? Why would you want to keep power cycling your host
every 10 minutes?
From: Maurice on

"Jose" <jose_ease(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Jul 14, 3:31 pm, "Maurice" <moris...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello:
> using win xp sp3, I've programmed the power options to go to hibernate
> after
> 10 min (of inactivity), but I noticed later, that system goes to hibernate
> even there is a download running, downloading a file is not an activity?
> is
> there any trick to overcome?
>
> thank you
> Maurice

XP decides whether or not to hibernate (when the time rolls around)
based on CPU usage.

If you set your timer for 10 minutes and there is no activity that
generates at least 10% CPU usage, the system will hibernate.

If you set your timer for 10 minutes and there is an activity that
DOES generate at least 10% CPU usage, the 10 minute timer would get
reset (the 10 minutes countdown starts over).

If your downloading does not generate the needed 10% CPU activity and
your system hibernates, then it sounds like XP is working as designed,
but perhaps not as desired.

Tell your download program to do something to generate at least 10%
CPU activity at least every my_hibernate_time-1 minutes.

How are you doing this downloading? Maybe somebody knows the trick
for your method.

I download normally from FireFox.

From: Maurice on

"VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote in message
> Maurice wrote:
>
>> Hello:
>> using win xp sp3, I've programmed the power options to go to hibernate
>> after
>> 10 min (of inactivity), but I noticed later, that system goes to
>> hibernate
>> even there is a download running, downloading a file is not an activity?
>> is
>> there any trick to overcome?
>>
>> thank you
>> Maurice
>
> First answer why you are hibernating (powering down) your host after
> only 10 minutes of inactivity. Why not put the host into standby power
> mode first and then go into hibernate mode somewhere like an hour or
> several hours later? Why would you want to keep power cycling your host
> every 10 minutes?

do you mean that when downloading system won't go to standby, in such a
case, this could works for me.
Thank you