From: Humpty Dumpty on
In Power Options I enabled hibernation and asked the computer to go into hibernation after 30 minutes. Well, it doesn't.

The complete settings are as follows:

Turn off monitor: after 5 min.
Turn off hard disks: after 15 minutes.
System standby: after 25 minutes.
System hibernates: after 30 minutes.

What may be the reason of the computer not going into hibernation?

TIA

Humpty

From: Bert Hyman on
In news:OelNZV4ILHA.6016(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl "Humpty Dumpty"
<sorry(a)antispam.net> wrote:

> In Power Options I enabled hibernation and asked the computer to go
> into hibernation after 30 minutes. Well, it doesn't.
>
> The complete settings are as follows:
>
> Turn off monitor: after 5 min.
> Turn off hard disks: after 15 minutes.
> System standby: after 25 minutes.
> System hibernates: after 30 minutes.
>
> What may be the reason of the computer not going into hibernation?

In standby, the OS is not active to keep track of time, so unless
there's support in the BIOS, your machine probably can't get into
hibernation from standby.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert(a)iphouse.com
From: Jose on
On Jul 14, 2:49 pm, "Humpty Dumpty" <so...(a)antispam.net> wrote:
> In Power Options I enabled hibernation and asked the computer to go into hibernation after 30 minutes. Well, it doesn't.
>
> The complete settings are as follows:
>
> Turn off monitor: after 5 min.
> Turn off hard disks: after 15 minutes.
> System standby: after 25 minutes.
> System hibernates: after 30 minutes.
>
> What may be the reason of the computer not going into hibernation?
>
> TIA
>
> Humpty

First make sure your Hibernation/Stand By mechanism is functional by
clicking Start, Turn
Off Computer, then press the Shift key and the Stand By button should
turn into a Hibernate
button which you click and your system should hibernate.

Does a manual Hibernation/Stand By work okay?

Describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation: McAfee,
Norton, Spybot,
AVG, MSE, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

Does your system have installed Skype, MagicJack, RSS feeds, any kind
of Instant Messenger,
any kind of malware scanners doing scans or doing automatic updates
like AVG, Norton, McAfee,
Bit Defender?

If any one of those "lots of items that are not doing anything" you
see in Task Manger causes the
CPU to use 10% of CPU time (even for a fraction of a second), the
power down options countdown
timers all get reset back to zero (they start over). Therefore, it is
possible that your system
may never hibernate as the timer keeps getting reset.

If you have the timer set to 30 minutes and something happens that
uses 10% of the CPU every
10 minutes, you will never automatically hibernate or stand by. Both
will still work just fine
manually though. Just because your system looks "idle" or you think
it is idle, XP may not think so.

If you just glance at TM, 99% idle could be the case, but you would
have to watch it for a
while and maybe see something that uses 10% - even for a split second
if you are lucky
enough to see it.

You can set your hibernation time down to something small like -3
minutes for a test. if it works
okay then and not when set for 30 minutes, you know something is
running that is resetting your timer,
figure out what it is and then decide what to do.

Make sure the mechanism works first, then figure out why it is not
engaging like you think it should.
From: mm on
On 14 Jul 2010 19:55:47 GMT, Bert Hyman <bert(a)iphouse.com> wrote:

>In news:OelNZV4ILHA.6016(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl "Humpty Dumpty"
><sorry(a)antispam.net> wrote:
>
>> In Power Options I enabled hibernation and asked the computer to go
>> into hibernation after 30 minutes. Well, it doesn't.
>>
>> The complete settings are as follows:
>>
>> Turn off monitor: after 5 min.
>> Turn off hard disks: after 15 minutes.
>> System standby: after 25 minutes.
>> System hibernates: after 30 minutes.
>>
>> What may be the reason of the computer not going into hibernation?
>
>In standby, the OS is not active to keep track of time, so unless
>there's support in the BIOS, your machine probably can't get into
>hibernation from standby.

Makes sense to me.