From: Jobrook on
I somehow got some software installed called "Windows Explorer Shell Context
Menu Coponent" it is described as a software development component. It is
supposed to be removable, but I can't locate either the program or how to
remove it. Suffice it to say it does bad things like disable the shortcuts on
the startup menu and ask for $150. I've emailed the company but they have no
phone number or legitimate mail address I could find, Someone else reported
similar problems on the Visual Studio site.
My question is more simple. Is there a way to locate this shell context menu
component and possibly remove it manually. I have dotnet 3.5 installed, but
would have no problem with removing it and reinstalling if that would do the
trick. Any guidance or references to other work would be appreciated. Thanks.
From: Gregory A. Beamer on

"Jobrook" <Jobrook(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I somehow got some software installed called "Windows Explorer Shell
> Context
> Menu Coponent" it is described as a software development component. It is
> supposed to be removable, but I can't locate either the program or how to
> remove it. Suffice it to say it does bad things like disable the shortcuts
> on
> the startup menu and ask for $150. I've emailed the company but they have
> no
> phone number or legitimate mail address I could find, Someone else
> reported
> similar problems on the Visual Studio site.
> My question is more simple. Is there a way to locate this shell context
> menu
> component and possibly remove it manually. I have dotnet 3.5 installed,
> but
> would have no problem with removing it and reinstalling if that would do
> the
> trick. Any guidance or references to other work would be appreciated.
> Thanks.

If it is just messing with Visual Studio, there are different reset commands
on devenv.exe. I don't have the syntax right now, but it should be easy
enough to google. The add-ins for Visual Studio do go into a certain folder.
If it is messing with Windows proper, you need to consider an anti-malware
program or two.

--
Peace and Grace,
Greg

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |

From: niemiro on

Hello,

Is this what you are looking for: 'ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager
For Windows' (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html)

Richard

--
niemiro

If you are expecting a response from me, and do not have one
within 24 hours, PM me. Never feel afraid to send me a PM; that is what
the system is for.