From: YTach on
On Jan 3, 3:25 pm, sami <jehan...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jan 1, 9:17 pm, sami <jehan...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > if you want to start you phd reserch which way you prefer
>
> > 1_  understanding the subject first by reading books or directly start
> > reading conference and papers to know which new idea you can find
> > about your subject
>
> > from where you prefer to select papers from for  example IEEE
> > or .........??
>
> > if you want to search for  a paper which way you prefer
>
> thanx for enery one
>
> how ever i have some point to ask about
>
> if i want to find a topic related to OFDMA for example
>
> 1_ how i can be sure that no one has worked  on such a topic before me
>
> 2_if i want to read papers related to OFDMA do i have to search from
> the begining or it is enough to see the papers that was puplished in
> thel ast five years for example

Sami,

You have to build some fundamental background in the field that you
are after. New graduate students ask me always about how to find good
research topics and the advice u received from all the experts above
are sound and very true. However, I will give you some few tips/
sources that might help you to find an interesting PhD problem:

1- Graduate classes
Graduate classes should build this fundamental infrastructure for you
and open your eyes to the trend in technology development in related
fields. I tend to see many class projects to be the triggering points
for many research topics because hard working students work hard on
them and discover many practical problems that sometimes can be
candidates for PhD topics.

2- IEEE Spectrum and Potentials magazines:
These magazines are not deep technically and they target a broad
spectrum of readers. You can find in them Surveys and research trends
that might interest you. Once you find an interesting article, do not
forget to check the references and find the major experts in this
field.

3- Conferences
If you are not able to attend them, you can access their publications
online. You should know the major conferences in the area of your
field and follow their recent publications, they can tell you alot
about research trends

4- Top downloads
IEEE explore library has a link to the top 100 popular downloaded
paper and DSP magazine has the top downloaded articles in the first
few pages of each issue. Top downloads are other source of research
trends.

Once you get yourself interested in the topic, you should familiarize
yourself with the top researchers in that field and read their work.
However, it is very IMPORTANT to remind you that you should not be a
"follower". After time of working and reading, you should be able to
develop your own reasearch personality and be able to judge others
work. You will learn this during the publication process when others
review and evaluate your work.

Again, what I mentioned above are some few tips that found them to be
useful to students I have advised. They are not the only ways by any
means. and above all, remember always that once you find your topic,
focus on developing you own research personality and avoid being a
"follower".

I hope this will help and good luck in your research. Good luck