From: lightwave2000 on
Hi,

I just reload office in the new Win 7 system and setup email in outlook to
retrieve from IMAP account. Outlook now is trying to retrieve the entire
email which contain thousands of old email from last few years. So, how do I
set a limit that it willonly retrieve email from last 30 days?

Thanks
From: VanguardLH on
lightwave2000 wrote:

> I just reload office in the new Win 7 system

Since it is a *new* operating system, you did NOT /reload/ the unidentified
version of Office. You did a *fresh* install of Office. That means Outlook
won't have any of those old e-mails and everything up on the server will
look new. Because you are using IMAP, Outlook has to re-synchronize with
the mail server because you left all those old e-mails up there.

> and setup email in outlook to retrieve from IMAP account. Outlook now is
> trying to retrieve the entire email

Yeah, that's what it is supposed to do. You are using IMAP. That attempts
to keep syncrhonized the e-mail client with your mailbox up on the server.

Internet Message Access Protocol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imap

E-mail Explained: The Difference Between IMAP and POP
http://www.ofzenandcomputing.com/zanswers/889

> which contain thousands of old email from last few years.

So why are you keeping thousands of e-mails spanning several years if you
don't want them? For IMAP, if it's on the server then it's in your client,
and if it's in your client then it's on the server. That's the whole point
of IMAP to keep your server and client synchronized together. What's on one
end is reflected on the other end.

Just use the webnews interface to your e-mail account and delete the ancient
messages you no longer want before having Outlook sync up with your
maildrop. They won't be there for Outlook to find.

> So, how do I set a limit that it willonly retrieve email from last 30
> days?

Get rid of them on the server if you don't want to have Outlook synchronize
to them. You are starting Outlook from scratch which means it now has to
sync with whatever you left on the server in the folders to which Outlook is
subscribed.

When you moved to the new OS, why didn't you copy over your old message
store(s) (the .pst files) that you had before? You could then designate the
old message store as your new one and start from where you were before under
the new OS.