From: Chris on
We are going to implement a new email retention policy. It will clean emails
older than a year in Deleted items. The problem for us is that many emails
in the Deleted items are unread with "read receipt". We tested one mailbox.
Once the policy applied through mailbox management it generated lots of read
receipt confirmation message to either external or internal. We'd like to
avoid that at least during the new policy implementation period. So users
won't get any notifications from old emails. Is there a way to do this for
all the mailboxes or at each store level?

Thanks.
From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
Have your CEO tell people to quit using read receipts.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

From: Chris on
This is only for retention policy to old emails. What we plan to do is to
set up mailbox policy to delete any emails older than 365 days in Deleted
items, Sent items and Inbox. Based on our tests the policy works but it
generates read recepients to the sender once the unread email has read
recepient request. Of course we don't want the recepient to get an email
read confimation for a one sent a year ago. Original we thought mailbox
manager could just delete it. After spoke with MS support they told us that
there was a built in process to check read recepient before deletion. No way
to turn it off.

Now, I'm think to make a script and let it search all mailboxes on a server
and look for any unread emails older than 365 days with read recepient
header. If found remove it. Then run the mailbox policy which shouldn't
trigger any read confimation message. The problem is that I'm not good at
Exchange scripting. Any idea where are the good source for this?

Thanks.