From: Tony Rogerson on
> Actually it is DDL, DML, DCL and transaction control. This is one of
> the major problems that cowboy coders have; they think SQL = DML, and
> fail to create integrated systems.

You said this...

"BY DEFINITION a column has scalar values, this is not a valid value in SQL"

Holding "1,2,3" in a column has nothing to do with DDL, DML, DCL, {querying}
and transaction control.

IT has everything to do with database design 1nf, 2nf etc...

> LOL! These days, I use a word processor or a spreadsheet most of the
> time! I find that most one-shot jobs

Next time (later this morning) I need to bring in a 20MByte file with a
couple of million rows in it and validate it, and then insert it into my
database I'll be sure to try and do that with Word or Excel.

Right tool for the right job; often SSIS is over kill and takes longer for
what you are trying to do; a lot of the time its easier, more maintainable,
more cost effective to load the data into temporary tables within the
database and use "T-SQL" to validate etc...

But, you'd not know that if you worked just with theory; its only by
actually doing stuff you'd get to know this "experience".

> For repeated jobs, we usually have an ETL tool in my "sheltered
> existence" IT shops.

Cool - so, a lot of experience on a day to day basis doing that? Or is it,
as I suspect; something you've only occasionally done
..
Perhaps one of these days I'll bring a lap top with some of the products you
say you have used and put it in front of you and say "go on then, should me
the basics of the product" - I've no doubt in my mind you'd be clueless.

--ROGGIE--